Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 113

Thread: OUYA: A $99 Android Linux Game Console

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    You said the magic word... OF COURSE ITS NOT GNU, NOT EVEN FAKE GNU. ITS ANDROID.

    And you really don't know much about Android, do you? Java is only used for LIGHT stuff, basic UI's, things like that. All the heavy lifting is done by native binaries.
    Your argument is faulty, as it's equivalent to comparing engines without a car body. Yeah the engine is a Linux Kernel derivative, but the body/chassis is not Linux. An android device has the body is a coffee colour, java, with Android essence.

    You have to consider the whole car to call it a model type.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    Yeah I noticed there was no y axis name, and the values are expo.

    If you read the comments, people calculate the values are based on xbox1, with the Mobile charting being iPhone to Tegra3. The direction is mapped on SOC including more GPU cores as time progresses.

    In the specs there is 12 GPU cores per Tegra3.

    http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/tegra-3-uk.html
    We have benchmarks today on the tegra3. It's not very impressive, not at all. nvidia may know how to build a GPU if they are given 400W to do it, but at this level...the only saving grace for their arm SOCs has been time to market.

    Hopefully with the cash influx the ouya guys can either substantially push up release with a tegra3 OR get an SOC in bulk with a better gpu (arm t6xx?) that they can release in early 2013. Staying on their current plan of tegra3 in 2013q2 is kind of underwhelming.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bnolsen View Post
    We have benchmarks today on the tegra3. It's not very impressive, not at all. nvidia may know how to build a GPU if they are given 400W to do it, but at this level...the only saving grace for their arm SOCs has been time to market.
    I have yet to see a XBOX360 demo compared to Android running the same demo. The hardware specification comparison for the GPUs on mobile chips are based on single core so it's hard to fathom the real might of these GPUs. Many solutions are already way faster than XBox1, which is impressive.

    Remember the xbox360 is fairly old now, but still has acceptable graphics.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    Your argument is faulty, as it's equivalent to comparing engines without a car body. Yeah the engine is a Linux Kernel derivative, but the body/chassis is not Linux. An android device has the body is a coffee colour, java, with Android essence.
    What are you yapping about? The kernel is is Linux, just like it's Linux in Ubuntu aswell as in a router. The body/chassi is that which lies outside the kernel, be it basic userland, gui toolkits, window systems, sound systems, etc. The kernel is still Linux, and the term Linux ONLY applies to the kernel.

    Elanthis bullshit of Android not being a Linux device was just him desperately trying not to admit anything successful when it comes to Linux, it just messes with his worldview. Of course it's a Linux device, as a 'Linux device' means something that runs the Linux kernel.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    The hardware specification comparison for the GPUs on mobile chips are based on single core so it's hard to fathom the real might of these GPUs.
    Where do you have this idea from? The numbers are available, just use google. In case of Tegra 3 with 12 shader units(cores) they are about 12GFLOPS at 520MHz. To be more exact 1MAD(2FLOPS) per clock and core, thus 2FLOPS * 520MHz * 12Cores = 12.48GFLOPS. This makes 1/20 of xbox 360 performance.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by log0 View Post
    To be more exact 1MAD(2FLOPS) per clock and core, thus 2FLOPS * 520MHz * 12Cores = 12.48GFLOPS. This makes 1/20 of xbox 360 performance.
    And 12 times the performance of the Wii, which I wouldn't call an unsuccessful console. Gaming is more than sheer performance.

  7. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    You buy the one with Android on it, because (1) the second option is imaginary and will never exist, (2) the second one is a kludge of crap that doesn't really work right with a touchscreen and needs to be hacked on for weeks before it begins to function.

    Also, you can run GNU (if from ubuntu or any other ARM distro) on any Android tablet. Yeah, you know why? Its because the LINUX KERNEL is still the LINUX KERNEL.


    Guess what? They're BOTH real.


    You said the magic word... OF COURSE ITS NOT GNU, NOT EVEN FAKE GNU. ITS ANDROID.

    And you really don't know much about Android, do you? Java is only used for LIGHT stuff, basic UI's, things like that. All the heavy lifting is done by native binaries.
    Yeah, it's exactly that, Android, which the user has no real control of out of the box, which is designed to give every bit of personal information possible about you to whatever company pays for the privilege of stalking you. Because of that Android is not and never will be Linux, no, it doesn't fucking matter what kernel it runs when you have no control.

    CyanogenMod doesn't count either since it's not the default.

    And no, while you may be fine with running a lobotomized Android appliance I suspect most on this site would rather get the real Linux tablet.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    Your argument is faulty, as it's equivalent to comparing engines without a car body. Yeah the engine is a Linux Kernel derivative, but the body/chassis is not Linux. An android device has the body is a coffee colour, java, with Android essence.

    You have to consider the whole car to call it a model type.
    YOUR argument is faulty.

    GNU IS NOT LINUX. GNU IS USERLAND, ONE OF MANY, COMMONLY USED OVER TOP OF A LINUX KERNEL.

    GNU is ALSO used over OTHER kernels, like BSD, and HURD.

    Just as OTHER userlands are used over LINUX KERNEL -- like ANDROID, ACCESS, MEEGO, hundreds of different embedded systems, WDTV, OpenWRT, etc.


    LINUX IS THE KERNEL.
    ONLY.
    NOTHING MORE.
    THAT IS ALL.
    JUST THE KERNEL.

  9. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    YOUR argument is faulty.

    GNU IS NOT LINUX. GNU IS USERLAND, ONE OF MANY, COMMONLY USED OVER TOP OF A LINUX KERNEL.

    GNU is ALSO used over OTHER kernels, like BSD, and HURD.

    Just as OTHER userlands are used over LINUX KERNEL -- like ANDROID, ACCESS, MEEGO, hundreds of different embedded systems, WDTV, OpenWRT, etc.


    LINUX IS THE KERNEL.
    ONLY.
    NOTHING MORE.
    THAT IS ALL.
    JUST THE KERNEL.
    And the kernel alone is about as useful as a NetBSD toaster...

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    Yeah, it's exactly that, Android, which the user has no real control of out of the box, which is designed to give every bit of personal information possible about you to whatever company pays for the privilege of stalking you. Because of that Android is not and never will be Linux, no, it doesn't fucking matter what kernel it runs when you have no control.

    CyanogenMod doesn't count either since it's not the default.

    And no, while you may be fine with running a lobotomized Android appliance I suspect most on this site would rather get the real Linux tablet.
    Your argument is INVALID.
    When you go to the store and buy a new computer, guess what? Its got MSVIRUS on it, stalking you, reporting you to steve balmer, and you have no control.

    And no, it doesn't count that you lobotomized it to install GNU/Linux on it, BECAUSE ITS NOT THE DEFAULT.

    GNU/Linux will never be Linux.



    ***

    Now you see how absurd your argument actually is?

    There is NO SUCH THING as a "real linux" anything. HARDWARE IS HARDWARE. Linux is SOFTWARE. By very definition, NOT THE SAME THING.

    ***I*** purchase hardware based on freedom and openness. Not based on what software comes preinstalled. Lobotomized? Absolutely not. Unless you buy into CRAP, its a simple matter of wiping the crippleware off of it and installing WHATEVER software on it YOU LIKE. And no, it is no more challenging and no more "hacking" is required, than wiping that MSVIRUS off that new laptop you just bought.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •