Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 113

Thread: OUYA: A $99 Android Linux Game Console

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    And the kernel alone is about as useful as a NetBSD toaster...
    So? What's your point?

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    Yeah, it's exactly that, Android, which the user has no real control of out of the box, which is designed to give every bit of personal information possible about you to whatever company pays for the privilege of stalking you. Because of that Android is not and never will be Linux, no, it doesn't fucking matter what kernel it runs when you have no control.
    According to your definition all the embedded devices out there that are running Linux are in reality not running Linux, because the user has no control over the inbuilt OS. Or is your definition only true for Android?

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    396

    Default

    ok, so can anyone please answer this:

    Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    quick question:

    if I install a normal linux distro (like ubuntu) on an ARM nvidia tegra tablet, will I have full GPU acceleration , since am using the linux kernel or is the acceleration only available on android ?
    thanks

  4. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    talked out of his ass some more...

    So you jailbreak all of your devices, breaching the contract with the service provider? Or do you have some source for phone and tablet hardware that has no OS or an actual Linux installed, I.E. not Android?

    ARM devices are not sold as common X86 gear is, there is no Newegg with a thousand mobos from which you can choose from.

    The only ARM gear I currently know of that you can get with REAL LINUX on it by default is for a Phone: GTA-04 http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-main/
    Tablet: Vivaldi http://aseigo.blogspot.com/
    Gaming device: Open Pandora http://openpandora.org/

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
    According to your definition all the embedded devices out there that are running Linux are in reality not running Linux, because the user has no control over the inbuilt OS. Or is your definition only true for Android?
    I think that Kivada needs to read this: http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    Or do you have some source for phone and tablet hardware that has no OS or an actual Linux installed, I.E. not Android?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N900

  7. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
    According to your definition all the embedded devices out there that are running Linux are in reality not running Linux, because the user has no control over the inbuilt OS. Or is your definition only true for Android?
    More or less yeah, sure you can count them as installs the same way Microsoft counts installs of WinCE on embedded devices as installs as well, but unless you can do anything with them aside from what they where specifically built for without major modification... then no, they don't count.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    More or less yeah, sure you can count them as installs the same way Microsoft counts installs of WinCE on embedded devices as installs as well, but unless you can do anything with them aside from what they where specifically built for without major modification... then no, they don't count.
    Seems to me that you stand pretty alone with your definition.

  9. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
    Do they even still make those though? I thought sine MS took over Nokia they had stopped producing anything of value.

  10. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
    Seems to me that you stand pretty alone with your definition.
    On a site full of idiots that think Nvidia can do no wrong even if they will never support an OSS driver and would drop Linux support like a rotting diaper if it weren't for the CAD and pro video editing segment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •