Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
We haven't looked deeply into encrypted netlists but initial feedback wasn't particularly promising... at first glance they seem to really be "unencrypted netlists with encrypted debug info". We do need to spend more time looking into that area though...
I'm not too optimistic. From what I understand, the ability to simulate encrypted netlists is something the simulator vendors cook into their products, precisely so that proprietary IP can be given to customers for simulation without revealing internal details. But I would think that depends on the simulator not spilling the beans, in addition to, as you suggest, that a lot of encryption is done - poorly. Add to that the fact that OSS tends to be repulsed by the idea of using encryption to hide proprietary details, and that you could hack the source code to reprint the newly decrypted source, etc...

So let's look at a different tack... Is it possible to release "obsolete" netlists? They're smaller, so maybe it's possible so simulate in a week or two with a Beowulf cluster or GPU-at-home. Presumably there's also some "familial" relationship between your products, so that even in the new product, the old feature may work pretty much the same way. (Is Hyper-Z old enough to be on an "obsolete" chip yet?) Even obsolete netlists could also give OSS driver developers new insights into the hardware and how to code for it.