Thread: SDL 2.0 Is Coming Very Soon With New Features

Hybrid View

Default SDL 2.0 Is Coming Very Soon With New Features

Phoronix: SDL 2.0 Is Coming Very Soon With New Features

On the same day as announcing he's joining Valve Software, Sam Lantinga announced that it's time to unleash Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) 2.0 on the masses...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE0MDU

Considering that he will be working for valve, do you think a large part of what he will do there is to officially work on SDL since a lot of games will use it?

Gaming On Linux - http://www.gamingonlinux.com

I would think that while working on Valve's gaming engines on Linux there would be plenty of opportunity to fix bugs and improve it. I would think that being hired full time to work on a cutting-edge game engine while being very familiar with the APIs that he is using is going to provide opportunities for lots of improvements.

This SDL 2.0 stuff sounds very cool. Hopefully it would provide a big opportunity to depreciate/replace APIs like OpenAL and simplify the commonly used APIs for gaming. I would expect that for most games they wouldn't need anything other then SDL to do what they want.

It doesn't seem like SDL_net Will be a part of the release. Why not? I Was looking forward to having them merged so only one download would be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Azpegath View Post
    It doesn't seem like SDL_net Will be a part of the release. Why not? I Was looking forward to having them merged so only one download would be needed.
    From what I recall, it was a bit too simplistic to use for more serious projects. This might have changed since I used it but because it's not a good fit for everyone using SDL I figure they don't want to add it to the core library.

Just looked at the feature list.

I want multiple keyboard, mice joystick and other input devices!

Ryan: Add support for multiple mice

Q: What is the mapping of individual mice to pointers? Is there a "master pointer" that multiple mice share and then events for the individual mice? Is there a dual mode, where you have a single pointer that all mice affect, and you can switch to multiple pointers, each affected by a single mouse?
    Each mouse should have a pionter, this ain't rocket science design decisions!
    Of course being able to do the mentioned things would be nice too but not necessary!

Quote Originally Posted by drag View Post
    Hopefully it would provide a big opportunity to depreciate/replace APIs like OpenAL and simplify the commonly used APIs for gaming.
    I think you might be reading too much of this phoronix blog... your conclusion "OpenAL is inferior to SDL_audio" couldn't be more wrong.

Nice features! Let me add my voice for full Alt+Tab support!