Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SDL 2.0 Is Coming Very Soon With New Features

Default SDL 2.0 Is Coming Very Soon With New Features

Phoronix: SDL 2.0 Is Coming Very Soon With New Features

On the same day as announcing he's joining Valve Software, Sam Lantinga announced that it's time to unleash Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) 2.0 on the masses...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE0MDU

Considering that he will be working for valve, do you think a large part of what he will do there is to officially work on SDL since a lot of games will use it?

Gaming On Linux - http://www.gamingonlinux.com

I would think that while working on Valve's gaming engines on Linux there would be plenty of opportunity to fix bugs and improve it. I would think that being hired full time to work on a cutting-edge game engine while being very familiar with the APIs that he is using is going to provide opportunities for lots of improvements.

This SDL 2.0 stuff sounds very cool. Hopefully it would provide a big opportunity to depreciate/replace APIs like OpenAL and simplify the commonly used APIs for gaming. I would expect that for most games they wouldn't need anything other then SDL to do what they want.

It doesn't seem like SDL_net Will be a part of the release. Why not? I Was looking forward to having them merged so only one download would be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Azpegath View Post
    It doesn't seem like SDL_net Will be a part of the release. Why not? I Was looking forward to having them merged so only one download would be needed.
    From what I recall, it was a bit too simplistic to use for more serious projects. This might have changed since I used it but because it's not a good fit for everyone using SDL I figure they don't want to add it to the core library.

Just looked at the feature list.

I want multiple keyboard, mice joystick and other input devices!

Ryan: Add support for multiple mice

Q: What is the mapping of individual mice to pointers? Is there a "master pointer" that multiple mice share and then events for the individual mice? Is there a dual mode, where you have a single pointer that all mice affect, and you can switch to multiple pointers, each affected by a single mouse?
    Each mouse should have a pionter, this ain't rocket science design decisions!
    Of course being able to do the mentioned things would be nice too but not necessary!

Quote Originally Posted by plonoma View Post
    Just looked at the feature list.

I want multiple keyboard, mice joystick and other input devices!

Each mouse should have a pionter, this ain't rocket science design decisions!
    Of course being able to do the mentioned things would be nice too but not necessary!
    I assume you're aware of MPX for linux? I've set that up myself and multiple mouse pointers isn't as awesome as you'd think it would be. I have lots of practical ideas for it, but there's so many obstacles.

And what about adding Alt-Tab feature? A lot of people are complaining about that.
    Last edited by TdR91; 07-15-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TdR91 View Post
    And what about adding Alt-Tab feature? Allot of people are complaining about that.
    Yeah, properly working Alt-Tab would be really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I've set that up myself and multiple mouse pointers isn't as awesome as you'd think it would be.
    The original Settlers game allowed two players on the same PC if you had 2 mice connected to it. Each one would get half a screen and a mouse pointer. It was pretty cool, but back then networks and online gaming were very rare, so maybe it doesn't make much sense nowadays.