Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Linux 3.5-rc7 Kernel: Not Cool, Guys. Not Cool.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in front of my box :p
    Posts
    765

    Default

    But better have some patches again but then a stable and good working kernel than to release too early and things being in a flaky state.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    379

    Default

    I couldn't even build 3.5 yet (only a quick test and not really checked why), last I tried were 3.5-rc6. I have big hopes in it to be able to follow kernel releases again, my radeon card doesn't work properly since 3.4 release...

    Maybe later at home

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Linus Torvalds is complaining that the *rc7 for 3.5 kernel version is bigger than *rc6. This is a good thing because it adds fixes, improvements, and comments. I have no problem downloading a bigger kernel than before, but it better work though.

    I rarely do kernel upgrades. If the new kernel fixes a problem that I had with my computer, I then upgrade. If it does not I do not upgrade the kernel. Following and upgrading after every kernel patch that comes out is just testing Murphy's law.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tecknurd View Post
    Linus Torvalds is complaining that the *rc7 for 3.5 kernel version is bigger than *rc6. This is a good thing because it adds fixes, improvements, and comments. I have no problem downloading a bigger kernel than before, but it better work though.

    I rarely do kernel upgrades. If the new kernel fixes a problem that I had with my computer, I then upgrade. If it does not I do not upgrade the kernel. Following and upgrading after every kernel patch that comes out is just testing Murphy's law.
    Linus doesn't care about the size of the kernel (much). He's complaining that people saved up all their fixes for a late rc when he would have preferred to have them come in earlier.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ฿ 16LDJ6Hrd1oN3nCoFL7BypHSEYL84ca1JR
    Posts
    1,015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tecknurd View Post
    Linus Torvalds is complaining that the *rc7 for 3.5 kernel version is bigger than *rc6. This is a good thing because it adds fixes, improvements, and comments. I have no problem downloading a bigger kernel than before, but it better work though.
    It doesn't really. With rc7 I have a good chance that the screen remains black on waking up from suspend, with rc6 it seems to work fine. Big changes = way bigger chance of breaking something.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Linus doesn't care about the size of the kernel (much). He's complaining that people saved up all their fixes for a late rc when he would have preferred to have them come in earlier.
    They do the same in politics, wait until the very last moment and then push it through parlament before the ministers have time to read it

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Toruń, Poland
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXY View Post
    It doesn't really. With rc7 I have a good chance that the screen remains black on waking up from suspend, with rc6 it seems to work fine. Big changes = way bigger chance of breaking something.
    Did you file the bug?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •