Thread: Frame-Buffer Log Driver Wants To Go Mainline

Default Frame-Buffer Log Driver Wants To Go Mainline

Phoronix: Frame-Buffer Log Driver Wants To Go Mainline

The FBLOG driver, which is a kernel frame-buffer driver just for displaying logs from the Linux kernel, continues to be revised and the code's author wants to push the driver into the mainline Linux kernel...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE0MDg

Default Opinion?

What does the Linux kernel virtual terminal / console maintainer think about this?

What does Linus Torvalds think about this?

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    What does the Linux kernel virtual terminal / console maintainer think about this?
    That would be presupposing that it has a maintainer. Linus wrote it 20 years ago and AFAIK it's scarcely been touched since then except for minor bug fixes and janitorial changes. It's a text-mode emulator of a 30-year-old terminal; not exactly something that requires a dedicated cerebrum to watch over it. The attitude seems to be that if you're qualified to find a bug in it, you're qualified to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
    That would be presupposing that it has a maintainer. Linus wrote it 20 years ago and AFAIK it's scarcely been touched since then except for minor bug fixes and janitorial changes. It's a text-mode emulator of a 30-year-old terminal; not exactly something that requires a dedicated cerebrum to watch over it. The attitude seems to be that if you're qualified to find a bug in it, you're qualified to fix it.
    Oh, well I wonder what Linus thinks about it then. I thought it had a maintainer, but what do I know.

I wonder what VT version the Linux terminal supports. The latest version was VT525 released in 1994. 18 years ago.

How many colours does it support?