Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Fedora 18 To Support KDE Plasma Workspaces 4.9

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,427

    Default Fedora 18 To Support KDE Plasma Workspaces 4.9

    Phoronix: Fedora 18 To Support KDE Plasma Workspaces 4.9

    A round of new Fedora 18 features were approved at today's FESCo meeting...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE0MTM

  2. #2

    Default

    It would be a shame if Red Hat didn't make 4.9 available for the Beefy Miracle too. It's not like Fedora 17 is nearing it's EOL, or will be nearing EOL when KDE 4.9 is released next month.
    Last edited by halfmanhalfamazing; 07-17-2012 at 12:08 AM.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
    It would be a shame if Red Hat didn't make 4.9 available for the Beefy Miracle too. It's not like Fedora 17 is nearing it's EOL, or will be nearing EOL when KDE 4.9 is released next month.
    Fedora is not Red Hat and more importantly, Fedora KDE team is not Red Hat. It has a few Red Hat KDE maintainers but majority of the maintainers are volunteers and Red Hat as a organization has no directive on how that team does updates. Fedora 17 KDE updates are released according to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE/Update_policy which does typically mean that 4.9 would be available for Fedora 17.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    Fedora is not Red Hat and more importantly, Fedora KDE team is not Red Hat. It has a few Red Hat KDE maintainers but majority of the maintainers are volunteers and Red Hat as a organization has no directive on how that team does updates. Fedora 17 KDE updates are released according to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE/Update_policy which does typically mean that 4.9 would be available for Fedora 17.
    Isn't 4.8.x to 4.9.x a major update? In that case it shouldn't be available for 17, but 18 and onward.

    To quote the wiki link you just posted:
    "We will be shipping one major update per Fedora release."

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystro256 View Post
    Isn't 4.8.x to 4.9.x a major update? In that case it shouldn't be available for 17, but 18 and onward.

    To quote the wiki link you just posted:
    "We will be shipping one major update per Fedora release."
    Yep. Whatever KDE version included in Fedora 17, one major update per release is the policy. If needed, update exceptions are sometimes requested. The policy is not one set in stone.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Toruń, Poland
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Ehem, major KDE update would be 4 -> 5 . The first point updates are incremental and not so disruptive as to require costly changes to underlying system.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •