Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 109

Thread: Valve Writes About Their Linux Client Plans

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vadi View Post
    Ahh, the expected rudeness of the elitists. Pity, but I'm glad people at Valve know what they're doing, coming from this community to begin with.
    Sure it may sound elitist to those whom have a cynical mind. I'm helping.

    1.) Distrolock is dumb this isn't supporting Linux it's supporting Ubuntu... This is factual it's like saying only supporting Windows is just peachy and fine.... Can you keep up here or is this too elitist for you?

    2.) Distrobutions will help. This is also a given read any distro's forums about getting (name software) running. This is also a fact there buddy boy.

    3.) Their will be a AUR package probably less than a day later. While this may not be fact and speculation I would wager on it...

    4.) Troll much "Elistist" labeling tool?


    Edit... Sorry in a bad mood I understand this comes off a bit rough....
    FWIW I'm using Steam in wine playing Skyrim. While I welcome native left for dead 2 most of what I already own will still have to have the compatibility layer. Yeah it's a step forward, just not the leap Linux needs so my apologies to anyone offended to whom this means a great deal to.
    Last edited by nightmarex; 07-16-2012 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Further information....

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    LOL, have you read Phoronix? You probably need to convince Michael of that before getting him to try and argue the point to someone else.
    You do know that Ubuntu isn't my most favorite distribution? It's covered the most on Phoronix since it's the most widely used distribution on the desktop/enthusiast side and thus brings in the most traffic, but I have plenty of things I don't like about Ubuntu, etc.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    366

    Default

    Hopefully they end up making it similar to how Desura does it. Its platform agnostic, and can be installed under a local user account.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Considering Mint shares a decent amount with Ubuntu, I suspect it will also work.

    Also, surely Valve knows enough about the community that absolute lock-in is not a great idea. I figure they expect others to take the unsupported route an run with it. Heck, the community will probably do a lot of the work for them when it comes time to expand to other distros.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    366

    Default

    Also, those complaining about "distrolock", do yourselves a favor and actually read the Valve blog before spouting off nonsense. It's clearly explained why they are releasing on Ubuntu first, and logical reasons for doing so. It also adresses releasing for other distros.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,425

    Default

    I'm tempering my enthusiasm a bit as I still think it's going to be hard to get developers off of DirectX, especially if they can't make a business case for supporting Linux. (Well... I guess the PS3 games are in OpenGL, but even Rage didn't make it to Linux.) And if Valve pushes too hard, the publishers could certainly look into alternative distribution channels, e.g. the Windows store will be pretty established within a year I suppose.

    Now if there was going to be some kind of Linux-based Steam console box, then that would give devs a lot of incentive to come over. Then I think things could really take off.

    Otherwise I suspect Steam will have some kind of way of launching Windows games with Wine or something like that.


    It's too bad they don't have any kind of long-distance / volunteer work, as I certainly have plenty of free time.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You do know that Ubuntu isn't my most favorite distribution? It's covered the most on Phoronix since it's the most widely used distribution on the desktop/enthusiast side and thus brings in the most traffic, but I have plenty of things I don't like about Ubuntu, etc.
    My only point was that 99% of Phoronix coverage revolves around Ubuntu (or runs on top of ubuntu) - asking you to send Valve a message that they should be supporting non-Ubuntu distros seems a little funny to me.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    118

    Angry Yet another obviously fake "Valve supports Linux" article by Michael

    It's shocking that Michael is so desperate for advertisement revenue that he would hack Valve's servers and plant a fake Linux blog. Obviously he is working for M$ and just writes these articles to make Linux users look like delusional fanboys.


    (I'm just filling in for the doubters that seem to be absent. Is my trolling good? )

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jhansonxi View Post
    It's shocking that Michael is so desperate for advertisement revenue that he would hack Valve's servers and plant a fake Linux blog. Obviously he is working for M$ and just writes these articles to make Linux users look like delusional fanboys.


    (I'm just filling in for the doubters that seem to be absent. Is my trolling good? )
    Whoops, sorry I'm late.

    This is what you people consider proof? Really? Some nameless dev BLOGGING about steam on Linux? Do you believe everything you read on a blog? Escpecialy when it's made by someone too cowardly to even sign it? Until valve changes their homepage (http://store.steampowered.com/) to nothing except for the words "We are going to release steam on Linux - Gabe", then I think we should remain, at best, skeptical.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Over there somewhere
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KameZero View Post
    Whoops, sorry I'm late.

    This is what you people consider proof? Really? Some nameless dev BLOGGING about steam on Linux? Do you believe everything you read on a blog? Escpecialy when it's made by someone too cowardly to even sign it? Until valve changes their homepage (http://store.steampowered.com/) to nothing except for the words "We are going to release steam on Linux - Gabe", then I think we should remain, at best, skeptical.
    Exactly! It's not "official" just because somebody said it on teh Interwebs. Web site addresses are extreamly easy to spoof you know? It's obvius that michael is trolling everbody becaws he want to generate teh #1 best revenoo time dollerz.

    But on a serious note, I can't help but notice that the loyal opposition seems subdued. Awfully strange (and yes, the rest of us have earned the right to mercilessly mock you), but it's possible that I might be embarrassed into silence too after making the kinds of noises that were made. However I like to think I would be honest enough to publicly admit I was a douche. Hell, maybe they thought they'd be dead before this landed on their face.

    I wonder, what wine goes with crow? Can anybody help me out?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •