Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve Writes About Their Linux Client Plans

Hello Everybody ....1st post here

Yes it's true....i registered finally at Phoronix only because of Valve plans for Linux

As for 32bit vs 64bit....well....i have to agree that there is NOTHING wrong with a 32bit-only client and games !!!

1st of all, no matter we are at 2012, ALL AAA games in Windows are 32bit even if dev recommends for some titles that we play in a 64bit version of Windows.

2nd, with PAE extensions, 32bit UBUNTU is FASTER than 64bit UBUNTU, IIRC the results of tests.
    Last edited by AJSB; 07-17-2012 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    There is a distinct lack of celebration in this thread :P But then it makes sense, as those who believed Michael are not surprised by this, while those who didn't are too embarrassed to show their face.
    Indeed.

Those who trusted Michael have been excited since some month already.
    Next level of excitement will be reached once we have
    some native VALVE software running on our Linux machines.

I'm really hoping for a public beta and some (positive) concerning HL3.
    If VALVE makes it a launch title, this would be simply amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by AJSB View Post
    Hello Everybody ....1st post here

Yes it's true....i registered finally at Phoronix only because of Valve plans for Linux

As for 32bit vs 64bit....well....i have to agree that there is NOTHING wrong with a 32bit-only client and games !!!

1st of all, no matter we are at 2012, ALL AAA games in Windows are 32bit even if dev recommends for some titles that we play in a 64bit version of Windows.

2nd, with PAE extensions, 32bit UBUNTU is FASTER than 64bit UBUNTU, IIRC the results of tests.
    And the response from Steven Rostedt about 32bit kernel on 64bit machine:
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Rostedt
    "Idiot! Why the f*ck are you running i386 on your nice shiny new x86_64
    machine, with Umpteen Gigs of RAM. Boot a x86_64 kernel for Christ sake
    and get your full potential. Your i386 userspace will still work just
    fine on it. You're like one of those 75 year old retirees that can
    finally buy a Porsche just to drive it 10 miles per hour below the speed
    limit with a line of cars behind them!"

To get HL3 we should also get HL2 and it's episodes to have a "full" story, IMHO.

I'm more waiting for L4D2, CS:GO, TF2 and P2 in this order....and maybe a revamped DoD.

....not that a HL3 would be bad !!! quite opposite !!! It's just that to get HL3 , i wanted also HL2 and it's episodes at same time....

Quote Originally Posted by Redi44 View Post
    And the response from Steven Rostedt about 32bit kernel on 64bit machine:
    Like i said, the TESTS AT PHORONIX showed that UBUNTU 32bit with PAE is FASTER than 64bit.

So that analogy with the Porsche is not that correct.

Like i said, the TESTS AT PHORONIX showed that UBUNTU 32bit with PAE is FASTER than 64bit.

Tests are one part (and its only few %), but the enourmous work that must be done to allow this could (and should) be simply used somewhere else. The quote of one of the main kernel developers shows how it really is.

To get HL3 we should also get HL2 and it's episodes to have a "full" story, IMHO.

I'm more waiting for L4D2, CS:GO, TF2 and P2 in this order....and maybe a revamped DoD.

....not that a HL3 would be bad !!! quite opposite !!! It's just that to get HL3 , i wanted also HL2 and it's episodes at same time....
    I don't see why they won't support those titles, as Valve owns them. Besides, those games don't really demand that much from current hardware. I see it mainly being what plays on Mac will play on Linux. However, I can see why they want one or 2 launch titles. Starting small is a good plan so they don't get blasted with issues right out of the gate.

No...
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...204_3264&num=3

One day I'll reach Alaska, or die trying!

So...Michael got vindicated. Good!

Anyways, looking forward to what new games Valve will put on Steam for Linux. I'm already thinking about an easy Carmageddon: Reincarnation install that will bring millions to the developers and solidify Linux as a profitable gaming platform.

Quote Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
    That would be a shame. We have 2012, I don't see the point at all in running 32 bit software on a 6-core machine with 16GB RAM and I don't want to pollute my pure 64 bit install with 32 bit libs. If they only make a 32 bit client I think I will go for triple boot: Windows, Linux for gaming (32 bit with PAE kernel), Linux for serious work (64 bit).
    /eyeroll