Wow that seems very impressive .
    Code:
    Clients	Opteron 875	Opteron 2347	Xeon 5345
    1	3.1s	         2.9s	         1.6s
    2	6.7s	         6.5s	         12.6s
    3	12.1s	        10.5s	         20.5s
    4	18.1s	        14.9s	         44.6s

Ive gonna be happy with my phenom thats fort sure

Its also seems you need to run 4 vm to get the tlb bug appear, so i can safely run xen virtualization with atleast 2 vm system and the tlb fix disabled . Im considering a 64 bit Ubuntu 8.04 with a 32 bit linux and 32 bit windows vm:=)
    After all it would be a shame not to use the virtualization functions of the Phenom.
    This is very interesting, I'm also quite interested in seeing benchmark results against other quad-core processors. Like the Q6600 for example.

Now one question, mentioned above is the "Barcelona design"... is the Phenom a Barcelona series processor? In any way equivalent to either 875 or 2347?

I'm looking forward to the comparative benchmarks!

Phenom is the desktop variant, Barcelona is the server variant. The differences seem to be in HyperTransport level, SMP support, and apparently some differences in the cache controller.

a question offtopic. I know linux has different options for virtualizations... there's xen, there's kvm, etc...

but what about vmware? I plan on running virtualization on Ubuntu with vmware server, and the phenom 9500. any comments on that?

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Phenom is the desktop variant, Barcelona is the server variant. The differences seem to be in HyperTransport level, SMP support, and apparently some differences in the cache controller.
    so i would imagine then that the Phenom numbers would certainly not be as good...? What sort of SMP support differences would there be?

I'd like to see a comparison to the Q6600, as well as with the server versions (Xeon 53xx).

I think (but I'm not 100% sure) that Phenom numbers should be faster if anything.

From what I remember the smaller AM2-type packages don't include SMP support but the PhenomFX and Barcelone packages have more pins (1200+ IIRC) and presumably can include whatever is needed to support multiple CPUs on a board (ie 8+ cores).

Take all this with a grain of salt, of course -- I'm a graphics guy

Are we talking SMP = Symmetric Multi Processing here, or something else? If yes, how come AM2 CPUs don't support it, when they're dual core? Or did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by Thetargos View Post
    Are we talking SMP = Symmetric Multi Processing here, or something else? If yes, how come AM2 CPUs don't support it, when they're dual core? Or did I miss something?
    I believe he meant SMP support on the motherboard, so you could put dual processors, and 8 cores

Yeah, SMP isn't really a good term to use these days, is it. Any dual core or quad core chip is already doing SMP -- we need a new TLA for "more than one CPU socket on a board".

Looks like on amd.com we just call multiple-socket systems "2P" or "4P", and talk about "SMP up to 2 sockets/8 cores" :

http://http://www.amd.com/us-en/asse...Comparison.pdf

Also appears that "Barcelona" was the development code name for what is now called "Quad Core Opteron", while "Agena" was the code name for what is now called "Phenom".

I don't feel like I cleared things up very much
    Last edited by bridgman; 01-11-2008 at 11:05 PM.

Actually, you did. So it seems to be time for getting back go the 'MP' jargon (multiprocessor)

Looks like most of the Phenom problems have been overstated then, I was thinking of buying one when I came across the Phoronix article. Anyone experiencing the 'psychedelic-colours' bug in Ubuntu (see article)?