Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 78

Thread: Binary Driver Blobs Aren't Yet Ready For Wayland

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    211

    Default

    I like the idea of being able to use Wayland with my current Nvidia binary drivers. That way more people would be able to move to Wayland before Nvidia optimizes their driver for it (giving them a reason to do so in the first place).

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,467

    Default

    I wish Wayland would just diaf already.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    I wish Wayland would just diaf already.
    So.. what are you proposing?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Asserting that no effort should be made to accomodate blobs is a mistake imho. After all, nvidia has a driver that works on both Windows' protocol and X (on Linux, BSD and Solaris, no less) with minimum adaptations already. If your shiny new protocol can't accomodate that, you can hardly fault nvidia for not being flexible enough. Remember, they will have to dedicate resources to make adjustments anyway. And to test. So, taking a "my way or the highway" approach is not exactly productive.
    Of course, it's not unthinkable the Wayland releases with OSS drivers support only and works out blob issues a little further down the road. After all, they don't (he doesn't?) have unlimited resources either.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Veerappan View Post
    Bull. Pure and utter crap. I've got a 3-core Llano running the r600g driver on my MythTV machine in the living room at home. It records and plays HDTV at a 1920x1080 output resolution without any issues. It plays Bluray quality movies without issue. HDMI audio out works perfectly. Flash videos play fine.

    I realize that you probably think that VDPAU/VAAPI is absolutely necessary for an HTPC, but you're wrong. If the CPU is up to the task, there's no need for hardware decode acceleration. Those CPUs are up to the task and then some.
    Haha, yeah great idea - let the CPU do all the work and let the GFX chip burn even more power because your precious OSS driver does not even support proper power management.

    If you have a 3 core Llano, you probably have a A6-3500. That CPU alone has a TDP of 65 W! Yes, I really can see how this is an alternative for a low power, low noise, HTPC. My Intel Atom system with Nvidia Ion does not even have a fan and it's power supply has a maximum output of 25W.

    Have fun with your OSS driver and your crappy HTPC.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Fuck you nvidia!
    Fuck you, binary driver blobs!

    Binary driver blobs should have never been possible on Linux, they are a cancer to the FOSS community.

    Why care about them when they MUST me destroyed FOREVER?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timofonic View Post
    Binary driver blobs should have never been possible on Linux, they are a cancer to the FOSS community.
    But then Linux would have been relegated to web servers and TV remotes, yielding the entire smartphone industry to Apple and Windows. There goes a great plan.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M1kkko View Post
    So.. what are you proposing?
    I propose we not slough off something mature like X. It doesn't make sense to foist an entire upheaval of the graphics stack for very little (if any) added value, all because of one guy's pet project.

    This has the potential to be more disruptive than the transition to PulseAudio, except without the nominal features that PA brought... and at a time when such a disruption would be very unfortunate. (I.e., while trying to launch a serious gaming effort on Linux.)

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    But then Linux would have been relegated to web servers and TV remotes, yielding the entire smartphone industry to Apple and Windows. There goes a great plan.
    You talk like the typical GPU/SoC maker moron

    What's Nouveau then? And without resources form Novidia

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    677

    Default

    I'm not going to be happy if my 560 suddenly stopped being working for all it's power. I in fact did buy it to enjoy modern high-end games (natively and via wine), which it does very well at in 1080p.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •