Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 131

Thread: Valve's Gabe Newell Really Hates Windows 8

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,294

    Default Valve's Gabe Newell Really Hates Windows 8

    Phoronix: Valve's Gabe Newell Really Hates Windows 8

    As I said back in April, Valve's Gabe Newell really hates Windows 8...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE0NjQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    19

    Default

    I hate Windows 8 too. Probably for different reasons. In Beta, Metro was so clunky and... unnessercary.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17

    Default How unduly opinionated...

    Is it not unreasonable to assume, according to your own self-proclamation, that your website operates under the premise of providing news of interest to Linux and open-source enthusiasts? If so, then how does one find such an unimportant (or rather, simply not newsworthy) piece as this? I fail to see how a piece only showcasing one man's criticism of Windows has anything to do with Linux or open-source.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Newell
    The big problem that is holding back Linux is games.
    I use Linux far more often than Windows these days, yet even I acknowledge that the issue of "games" is not just the only issue (or even the "big issue") holding back the platform these days. What delusion...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince781 View Post
    I use Linux far more often than Windows these days, yet even I acknowledge that the issue of "games" is not just the only issue (or even the "big issue") holding back the platform these days. What delusion...
    That maybe true, but I know far too many people who see the games issue as a large one none the less.

    I use Linux almost completely, with virtualization and wine for any of the loose ends, so personally the games issue for me is very unimportant. However the gaming market can bring in new users, which in turn more bug reports, more user feedback/testing and more contributions to the community, even if it's not enormous in quantity. Plus it can introduce more commercial interest in Linux, which could have many benefits.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    394

    Default

    I love Gabe more and more every time

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystro256 View Post
    That maybe true, but I know far too many people who see the games issue as a large one none the less.

    I use Linux almost completely, with virtualization and wine for any of the loose ends, so personally the games issue for me is very unimportant. However the gaming market can bring in new users, which in turn more bug reports, more user feedback/testing and more contributions to the community, even if it's not enormous in quantity. Plus it can introduce more commercial interest in Linux, which could have many benefits.
    and don't forget better drivers (both open and blobs)
    Last edited by madjr; 07-26-2012 at 12:35 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince781 View Post
    I use Linux far more often than Windows these days, yet even I acknowledge that the issue of "games" is not just the only issue (or even the "big issue") holding back the platform these days. What delusion...
    My copy of Linux Mint 13 is equal in power and usability to Windows 7 and MacOSX. The ONLY thing missing from Linux that I care about is my games collection.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    418

    Default

    Native games should improve performance over wine a bit, but performance is equally important than availability.

    Stability should be sorted with a mainstream distro nowadays.

  8. #8

    Default

    Its more than simple: The windows app store makes steam obsolete and this makes valve obsolete and this makes gabe obsolete.
    Now Gabe realize that fact that he is obsolete and his company goes bankrupt next year now he try to fix that.
    10 years ago there was no windows app store and gabe and valve don't give a fuck about Linux this means the only fact what force him to love linux is the windows app store.

    Its more than simple he loves Linux now because its the only way out of the Microsoft trap!

    Microsoft burned all thinks they have ever touched!
    Last edited by maldorordiscord; 07-26-2012 at 03:53 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Gabe is right in saying Games are a very large driving force to the common consumer, and is what Linux lacks. However, there are also many people who will just buy whatever's at their local electronics store, which is a place where Linux just doesn't exist.

    If more computers where sold with Ubuntu pre-installed at Best Buy, then Linux would see a large increase in consumers development. There's also something to be said about the "sexy" factor, which I think MacOSX makes clear is important. Linux CAN be super sexy, and while Ubuntu/Mint/Gnome have made massive improvements to the "shinyness" of their default setup (Mint is actually pretty great here), they're still not near as sexy as Mac or Windows 7 (debatable) from the "get go". Ubuntu's default theme is ugly, and their Gnome Shell is missing features ("Power Off", "Dash to Dock", etc..).

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince781 View Post
    Is it not unreasonable to assume, according to your own self-proclamation, that your website operates under the premise of providing news of interest to Linux and open-source enthusiasts? If so, then how does one find such an unimportant (or rather, simply not newsworthy) piece as this? I fail to see how a piece only showcasing one man's criticism of Windows has anything to do with Linux or open-source.



    I use Linux far more often than Windows these days, yet even I acknowledge that the issue of "games" is not just the only issue (or even the "big issue") holding back the platform these days. What delusion...
    It just proves Windows lives, because of games. Dot. The biggest Linux issue is the lack of them. Dot. There are many issues in Windows which make it sometimes unusable, but games are saving. Dot.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •