Thread: Radeon Driver Commit Activity Is On The Decline

Default Radeon Driver Commit Activity Is On The Decline

Phoronix: Radeon Driver Commit Activity Is On The Decline

After delivering development statistics on the Nouveau driver and the Intel driver, here's some numbers looking at the development pace of the xf86-video-ati X.Org driver for Radeon graphics cards...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE0NjE

Quality journalism is on the decline

Code:
    _________
    |\       |
    |  \     |
    |    \   |
    |      \ |
    |_______|
    Last edited by FireBurn; 07-25-2012 at 07:10 AM.

Michael, the watermarking on all phoronix images is a disaster. Please update the image to be semitransparent (~30%) instead of solid and it would make sense to make it smaller size, or make it occupy a maximum of 20% of image proportionally. :/

This is because, for many images you post, the "water"mark very often overlaps over information.

Example from your post: http://www.phoronix.com/image-viewer...6_ati_git1_lrg

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Michael, the watermarking on all phoronix images is a disaster. Please update the image to be semitransparent (~30%) instead of solid and it would make sense to make it smaller size, or make it occupy a maximum of 20% of image proportionally. :/

This is because, for many images you post, the "water"mark very often overlaps over information.

Example from your post: http://www.phoronix.com/image-viewer...6_ati_git1_lrg

Thank you!
    I second that; it's ridiculous sometimes.

All benchmark graphs are completely broken on my iPhone. Have been forever.

That they are most likely on the decline, because the bulk of the code has been written. Support for an entire generation of cards requires a lot of code. Adding support (may be only pci-ids) and fixing bug is far smaller and less frequent commits?

Also isn't r300g nearly done now? Hasn't r300 classic and r600 classic been dropped now? Would also reduce the amount of commits.

I could be wrong of course.

Quote Originally Posted by oliver View Post
    That they are most likely on the decline, because the bulk of the code has been written. Support for an entire generation of cards requires a lot of code. Adding support (may be only pci-ids) and fixing bug is far smaller and less frequent commits?

Also isn't r300g nearly done now? Hasn't r300 classic and r600 classic been dropped now? Would also reduce the amount of commits.

I could be wrong of course.
    That was my thought. Commit activity looked more or less like your normal standard distribution curve, which you'd expect to see in regards to driver activity over time.

Yeah, I think there were really three phases :

- steady state with UMS (medium activity)
    - transition to KMS (really high activity)
    - steady state with KMS (low activity since the rest of the work moved to kernel driver)