Thread: Open-Source Doom 3 Running On Wayland

Hybrid View

Default Open-Source Doom 3 Running On Wayland

Phoronix: Open-Source Doom 3 Running On Wayland

The dhewm3 engine, which is one of the open-source forks of the id Tech 4 engine similar to ioDoom3, is now working on Wayland...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE0NzI

Nice to see it running.

Anyone have the hardware specs that was running on for comparison? I'd mostly like to know if there's a cost/benefit of running this game on Wayland vs. over X.

Also, the end of the video highlights why mouse capture support is a requirement for gaming

Quote Originally Posted by Veerappan View Post
    Anyone have the hardware specs that was running on for comparison? I'd mostly like to know if there's a cost/benefit of running this game on Wayland vs. over X.
    Well, that was captured with weston running on x11 because I ran into an issue with weston straight on drm. On top of that, the capture process slowed the game down a little.
    So no real numbers to compare yet. Once I cleanup and push my wayland patches for SDL2 you're welcome to try yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Veerappan View Post
    Also, the end of the video highlights why mouse capture support is a requirement for gaming
    Indeed, and in fact I posted this video in #wayland for that reason, because such a mouse grab is currently not implemented in wayland.

Default slow as hell

and still it's slow as hell.
    I remember, I have upgrade a couple of time since moment I bought quake 4.
    New video card/CPU/memory cards/MoBo never gave any performance increase(perhaps 3%).
    Looks like limitation of engine.

Default Awesome

I love this video.
    It strengthens my hope that soon we can get rid of old X.
    X did its contribution to linux, but linux needs to move on to the next level.
    I know replacing X with Wayland brings its own challenges, but It also makes the development much easier, both for driver and desktop developers (Gtk, Qt, etc).
    X is way too complex that slows down progression.
    Also it's time for canonical to step in and contribute to wayland instead of just watching it. If they don't they are stupid!
    Beleieve me or not canonical has the power to make wayland a mainstream topic. Only after that companies like Nvidia and AMD start to take it seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by sepisoad View Post
    I love this video.
    It strengthens my hope that soon we can get rid of old X.
    X did its contribution to linux, but linux needs to move on to the next level.
    I know replacing X with Wayland brings its own challenges, but It also makes the development much easier, both for driver and desktop developers (Gtk, Qt, etc).
    X is way too complex that slows down progression.
    Also it's time for canonical to step in and contribute to wayland instead of just watching it. If they don't they are stupid!
    Beleieve me or not canonical has the power to make wayland a mainstream topic. Only after that companies like Nvidia and AMD start to take it seriously.
    Canonical contributes and plans to implement wayland in one of the next releases. Some apps (ie firefox) seem not to care so much about it but there is still plenty of time.

Compared to the original DOOM 3, the changes of dhewm 3 worth mentioning are:
    • 64bit port
    • SDL for low level OS support, OpenGL and input handling
    • OpenAL for audio output, all OS specific audio backends are gone
    • OpenAL EFX for EAX reverb effects (read: EAX on all platforms)
    • A portable build system based on CMake
    • (Cross-)compilation with mingw-w64
    https://github.com/dhewm/dhewm3

That is basically everything I wanted from a Doom 3 source port. Can not wait until it is stable.

Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    Hopefully we're going to see the compositors being ported now that the protocol is set in stone with the 0.95.0 release, I think Wayland/Weston 1.0 is coming soon also, and that's where the protocol is supposed to be 100% frozen/stable and we should start seeing more applications and compositors working natively on Wayland from there.

I think it's already amazing that Wayland/Weston can run on a stock Linux 3.x kernel with open-source graphics drivers, and that xwayland already exists, and the fact that most X11 applications work on Wayland/Weston, I mean, Wayland/Weston hasn't even reached 1.0 yet and it already does all this, I think Wayland/Weston has come a long way and it's amazing, I think it's going to be even more amazing once it reaches 1.0 and becomes the default windowing system in Linux and most distros.
    Just remember, that "frozen" does not mean "complete". Wayland 1.0 will lack in the protocol for anyone trying to support a full DE (or games, like you saw with that Doom 3 video). 1.0 only means, that the protocol existing so far is not going to be broken.

Also, 1.0 does not mean it can become a default windowing system in desktop distros. It means, that toolkit, DE, and application developers can now start serious work on supporting Wayland without playing continuous catch-up with protocol changes.

It is all exciting, yes, but distro migration to Wayland will be a long path. And when it's done right, you probably can't even see the difference, unless you know what to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    Once Firefox finishes their port to GTK+3 it shouldn't be too hard to make it work on Wayland natively I believe.

But it seems like they haven't finished the port to GTK+3 yet.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=627699

It's a good thing however that xwayland exists and that X11/GTK+ apps such as Firefox already work via xwayland. I think that we'll need to run some apps (such as Firefox) for a while via xwayland until they become native applications on Wayland, but it's a good thing that xwayland already provides this sort of backward compatibility for "legacy" applications.

I think the most important thing right now is to get the compositors to work in Wayland natively (i.e. kwin, mutter, compiz, etc) and then the whole DEs like KDE, GNOME, etc. So that users can already use Wayland instead of X for our WMs and DEs, and so that distros can already ship Wayland by default. Once we have the DEs working natively on Wayland we can use xwayland to run the usual applications such as Firefox, until they become native Wayland applications.

I think the progression to Wayland is going to be gradual, perhaps some applications will take longer to port, but since there is xwayland this shouldn't be a problem.

Hopefully we're going to see the compositors being ported now that the protocol is set in stone with the 0.95.0 release, I think Wayland/Weston 1.0 is coming soon also, and that's where the protocol is supposed to be 100% frozen/stable and we should start seeing more applications and compositors working natively on Wayland from there.

I think it's already amazing that Wayland/Weston can run on a stock Linux 3.x kernel with open-source graphics drivers, and that xwayland already exists, and the fact that most X11 applications work on Wayland/Weston, I mean, Wayland/Weston hasn't even reached 1.0 yet and it already does all this, I think Wayland/Weston has come a long way and it's amazing, I think it's going to be even more amazing once it reaches 1.0 and becomes the default windowing system in Linux and most distros.

Wayland is amazing and a much needed change for Linux. Kudos to the Wayland developers.
    Libre Office is not running yet, Blender i think is not running and quite few more of the "big ones"

On the DE front only enlightenment implemented client decorations but i have no idea if it can currently run as a whole desktop.