Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Stallman Comments On Valve For Linux

Hybrid View

Default Richard Stallman Comments On Valve For Linux

Phoronix: Richard Stallman Comments On Valve For Linux

Richard Stallman has commented on Valve's plans to bring their games/software to Linux. Of course, he isn't happy about more non-free software coming to Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE0OTQ

In the Soviet Union, everything was required to be in the Public Domain, and your work could not be considered private property.

We don't live in the Soviet Union. Stallman wishes we did. Too bad for him.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    In the Soviet Union, everything was required to be in the Public Domain, and your work could not be considered private property.

We don't live in the Soviet Union. Stallman wishes we did. Too bad for him.
    That's just not true. What Stallman believes in is that software should be free (as in freedom), period. He even acknowledges in his blog post that game artwork is a different story.

Edit: on the other hand, I really have no idea what he thinks about the soviet union or communism, so I can't really speak for him.

Default The biggest problem with GPL is Stalman

This just highlights how stupid this guy can be! Many of these games take substantial amounts of cash to develop and as such the developers have no chance of paying the bills if they don't use some sort of rights management. In fact if people tried to take Stalmans advice there wouldn't be a games industry at all.

In any event im happy that the concept of open source is wide enough that many license can fill a developers needs. Frankly I can not see any wisdom at all in offering software with a GPL license attached. One doesn't want to be associated with such lunacy.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    This just highlights how stupid this guy can be! Many of these games take substantial amounts of cash to develop and as such the developers have no chance of paying the bills if they don't use some sort of rights management. In fact if people tried to take Stalmans advice there wouldn't be a games industry at all.

In any event im happy that the concept of open source is wide enough that many license can fill a developers needs. Frankly I can not see any wisdom at all in offering software with a GPL license attached. One doesn't want to be associated with such lunacy.
    just what i was gonna say, maybe not that extreme thou

Stallman is a really smart individual, no doubt about it
    from whats he's usually saying, id say he is an utopist and therefore has a rather naive view of the world(geniuses tend to be naive) thus belives anyone can do anything just for fun
    nothing wrong with that, utopia is a good goal, its just so far away

Quote Originally Posted by gens View Post

from whats he's usually saying, id say he is an utopist and therefore has a rather naive view of the world(geniuses tend to be naive) thus belives anyone can do anything just for fun
    Stallman doesn't believe you should work for free, but he probably does believe there is a limit to the amount you can milk a piece of work. He believes in a world where if someone pays you for software, you provide them the source. This means you need to charge people the amount of hours you worked on the software as opposed to developing software, and selling it to a load of people for $10. You could try to do that in Stallmans world, but you'd need to have a vehicle to stop them downloading that software from elsewhere. For the Redhat OS, that vehicle is support and updates; Sure CentOS still exists, but redhat makes a lot of money with an OS they largely give away for free.

In Stallmans world, new development would probably be cheaper too as people wouldn't need to reinvent the wheel every 5 minutes. You could use whatever was already good, and build on that. This would be near utopic for software quality and delivery times, but those attempting to make a living from releasing your own apps for a priced shared amoung a large number of people would probably suffer the conseqences of that. In this world, Microsoft probably couldn't exist as the company they are, Redhat would flourish, and both Operating Systems would probably be better than they are.

It probably wouldn't be all the catastrophic. Most people professional programmers are probably hired by companies or do contracting work for specified fees, but it'd be interesting times for a select few. We don't live in his world though.

P.S. I'm a 'professional programmer', and I'd love to coast of my work forever. I like have the potential to do that, but I also accept that in my own mind open source is superior. I'm sorta a hypocrite, and definitely not a member of the church of Stallman. I just don't like to see people disagree with the man when they don't seem to fully understand his view points. Personally I feel anyone who supports open source should have a strong understanding of his opinions, even if they don't agree with them 100%.
    Last edited by ownagefool; 07-29-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gens View Post

not as big a genius as yourself it would seem as you seem to have genii completely worked out...

Default Re

Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

From few years of Stallman opening his mouth I learned that no one should listen to him and do what he personally thinks it's right...
    "Many of these games take substantial amounts of cash to develop and as such the developers have no chance of paying the bills" - in a video broadcast (search on youtube "jupiter broadcasting linux action show stallman" and he talks from minute 10:25, he puts the question at ~50:40), the broadcaster asked that he has to provide for his family and needs to be payed for development of software, Stallman was saying that he should do it anyway for free. The broadcaster again says that he has kids and he has to feed them and all this kind of things and Stallman said "The most effective thing that any Amercian can do to reduce ecological impact is not have a kid. That's another point to keep in mind. It's really important for people to realize that."(from 56:30 in the video). He basically is saying People in the world should not make kids and evolve and continue the existence of the human race. Don't listen to him, I don't know what it is in Stallman's mind but I have the impression that it is not alright...
    Here is a link to the youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=radmjL5OIaA&t=56m0s

Quote Originally Posted by Alliancemd View Post
    From few years of Stallman opening his mouth I learned that no one should listen to him and do what he personally thinks it's right...
    "Many of these games take substantial amounts of cash to develop and as such the developers have no chance of paying the bills" - in a video broadcast (search on youtube "jupiter broadcasting linux action show stallman" and he talks from minute 10:25, he puts the question at ~50:40), the broadcaster asked that he has to provide for his family and needs to be payed for development of software, Stallman was saying that he should do it anyway for free. The broadcaster again says that he has kids and he has to feed them and all this kind of things and Stallman said "The most effective thing that any Amercian can do to reduce ecological impact is not have a kid. That's another point to keep in mind. It's really important for people to realize that."(from 56:30 in the video). He basically is saying People in the world should not make kids and evolve and continue the existence of the human race. Don't listen to him, I don't know what it is in Stallman's mind but I have the impression that it is not alright...
    Here is a link to the youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=radmjL5OIaA&t=56m0s
    here is one for you.. when RMS writes something people read/listen - when you write something only I read/listen so why should mr stallman stop writing and you be allowed to continue

you sir are a twat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alliancemd View Post
    and yet again someone complaining, that Stallman doesn't 100% conform to their views, and therefore is a psycho who's every words should not be taken seriously, _with prejudice_ (because, in just environment, even pshycos should have a benefit of a doubt to voice their opinions).
    did i miss on how Stallman publicly signed up to be everyone's moral idol, instead of discussing a narrow field of ethics in software development ? because no one expects anyone to follow unquestionably every word he says, and F/OSS "cult" exist only in raging imagination of the likes of you. hypocrites :/

damn, i marvel at the man: every time a complicated issue arises, he writes a maximally neutral statement, with inclination on the goals of FSF and ideas of "software freedom", _how he's fucking supposed to do_, being, you know, it's originator. and still, comes of as a "zealot" for standing for he's ideals and goals, again, _like he's supposed to_.
    so i wonder, how he has the patience to repeat over and over again the same things, finding different words for it to appeal to different people, especially the ones, who do not want to listen and have a mindset, in which 'pragmatic' apparently stands for 'thoughtlessly preferring easy solutions for short-term needs in detriment of long-term goals'.

what, idea that going for any goal in reality of life is _fucking tough_ (so tough, that it maybe even requires some sacrifices and rearrangement of you priorities) is a revelation for you ?
    or maybe you though, that he's talking about profitable new business model for software development he invented, instead of simply arguing for "what's right" in he's opinion ?
    the thing is: automation is a crucial part of modern life, and it's importance will only rise. hardware & software are, respectively, material & immaterial components of it. which means that what they composed of is also globally crucial, despite you, or anyone else, caring about it or not. which means that conscious decisions in fields of hardware & software development must be made, conscious of the consequences. and more your life is entangled with those processes, more you should be aware of that.
    simple truth of life: mind the consequences, motherfucker. and yet, the man still doesn't yell to "fuck off then" to every "BUT users just don't care | it's tough, and seemingly not worth it"-asshole. for all the weirdness of RMS, i cannot not to respect that !

PS: "you" does not literally mean the guy with the quote from above.
    and, by the way, how about concentrating on discussing the issue and RMS's statement instead of discussing him, assholes ?