Thread: Intel Driver Integrates BRW Assembler

Hybrid View

Default Intel Driver Integrates BRW Assembler

Phoronix: Intel Driver Integrates BRW Assembler

The xf86-video-intel driver has picked up thousands of lines of new code today with the integration of a BRW assembler in order to compile shader programs on the fly and to remove inefficiencies and mistakes from current Intel shaders...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE0OTc

And that's the way the cookie crumbles, AMD

One word: Whoa!

One day I'll reach Alaska, or die trying!

Thumbs up

Man, I'm just in awe of the amazing progress Intel is making. Say what you want, their drivers are improving at breakneck speeds by the day! This is awesome!

...with BRW being an abbreviation for what, exactly?

Michael doesn't know and in his rush to push out a half finished story didn't bother to find out or for that matter proof read his article

Quote Originally Posted by Zorael View Post
    ...with BRW being an abbreviation for what, exactly?
    "Broadwater"---the codename for the original Gen4 graphics found in the G965 chipset (also called GMA X3000). Broadwater was Intel's first GPU to support a fully programmable shader pipeline. All of the later systems are based on this design. That's also why the 3D driver is called i965.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayden View Post
    "Broadwater"---the codename for the original Gen4 graphics found in the G965 chipset (also called GMA X3000). Broadwater was Intel's first GPU to support a fully programmable shader pipeline. All of the later systems are based on this design. That's also why the 3D driver is called i965.
    Thanks for the confirmation. I was scanning the source to try to figure it out, and figured it was an abbreviation of a codename for a prior chipset given the sections which followed this pattern:
    Code:
    if (p->gen >= 70) {
     //do something
    } else if (p->gen >= 60) {
     //do something else
    } else {
     //do something with BRW in the name 
    }
    So, a new assembler for some legacy intel chipsets that helps to work around poorly written shaders and also when using the SNA architecture?

Quote Originally Posted by Kayden View Post
    Thanks. I was wondering about that too