Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
Because with float, we are operating with analog-like values, but using digital base to process and store them. True analog does not have thresholds (ie 1 / 0) and hence is much more detailed, "warm", but also more chaotic and susceptible to noise. Remember those audiophiles preferring vinyl over everything? Vinyl discs and whole processing is true analog, no digitization (and hence, no "bumpness"). Digital technology can compensate this by throwing heaps of bandwidth and processing power though.
I understand the difference between analog and digital, thanks. I attended a Music and Technology program and have also worked in several studios in my 20s... and Again, i wasn't arguing any of your post, but only citing that floating point does not equal 'fake analog' which in terms of terminology that could be used, is a completely unneeded junk term that doesn't even translate into something useful for a layman. - which was the point of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
The point that I had, is that the float value inside digital machines is not as chaotic, noisy or unpredictable as datenwolf has seen it. Its pretty discrete.
So, in my opinion, the only pro-argument for KLANG was/is: integer processing takes less resources - which I think is also incorrect, because we have floating point processing modules and specific instructions.

I really don't think all this has any value for Linux or its users.. It looks like a fight between misunderstandings and good vs better.

However, making something integrated, like CoreAudio, from ALSA+JACK+Pulse, while staying flexible -- would be a good thing for KLANG to do. Yet I don't think its possible without cooperation of whole scene. Which in turn means, if datenwolf values truth over personal opinion, lets hope he will cooperate instead of sack punching in the basement. Because if even if he succeeds, the result will just tear the system more apart, instead of evolution. Paul has typed pretty a lot of interesting info here, so he (Paul) does not seem to me he'll refuse to cooperate...
How is KLANG going to make these technologies (Jack, PA, ALSA) integrated, when the project is setting out to replace ALL of them inside the kernel??? (hint: it can't). Actually, what i personally got from reading Paul's posts (but i don't speak for him) was that he pretty much shot down the entire idea of KLANG, and also pointed out some areas where Datenwolf seems to have not thought about real world usage, nor bothered to even interact with any other Linux proaudio developers, either :\

To me KLANG is just a really bad idea - if you want to improve the Linux audio stack, work on ALSA, PA and/or Jack ... OSS sucks and we don't need to revive it under some new name (klang) with some added features, while then trying to convince every developer to port his/her applications to it. ALSA has better hardware support than OSS (or KLANG) so unless DW plans to port and maintain every driver from ALSA - this just seems like a dumb idea, regardless of any argument of Float vs. fixed-point ...