Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 185

Thread: Valve's L4D2 Is Faster On Linux Than Windows

  1. #171
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scali View Post
    What I pointed out however, is that people had been playing Steam games on Mac through Bootcamp, and because of the poor quality of the Mac port, many of them continue to use Bootcamp rather than the native Mac versions.
    They already had the Mac hardware to begin with.
    My point was about answering the statement that just because there were now MAC game ports, MAC sells didn't sky rocketed....my point is that even if the ports were of good quality it really doesn't matter because Apple high prices for a limited hardware puts off lot's of users----and the perception that is a very closed "ecosystem" with Apple using a very tight grip on it.

    Continuing to answer that statement and at same time answering your point, my answer is based in your....people in MAC don't like the ports because the ports are of bad quality.

    Now...who's to blame ? is really alone of who made the ports ? ....or is also because Apple continues to have a tight grip about their systems like the graphic about how the structure is implemented ? VC OEMs are responsible by a part....the other part is programmed by Apple....i doubt that things are really optimized as much as they could be...


    When you have bad quality game ports, high prices for the hardware, with a brand that is the only one making the MACs and with a tight grip of what is sold and/or approved to that platform, it's bound to NEVER be more than a product for an Elite.

  2. #172
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJSB View Post
    My point was about answering the statement that just because there were now MAC game ports, MAC sells didn't sky rocketed....my point is that even if the ports were of good quality it really doesn't matter because Apple high prices for a limited hardware puts off lot's of users----and the perception that is a very closed "ecosystem" with Apple using a very tight grip on it.
    The whole 'closedness' issue seems to be something that linux users would care about, not Windows users.
    Cost... perhaps somewhat, although I know plenty of people who bought a Mac when they could have bought a cheaper Windows/whatever machine to do the same. They just like the Mac better and are willing to pay a bit extra for it.
    Where a possible threshold for Mac might be price, I think usability is a threshold for linux. People aren't familiar with using a linux system, and many of their favourite applications may not be available. Macs are slightly closer to Windows, with things like Office, Photoshop, Premiere etc being available for both OSes.

    Quote Originally Posted by AJSB View Post
    Now...who's to blame ? is really alone of who made the ports ? ....or is also because Apple continues to have a tight grip about their systems like the graphic about how the structure is implemented ? VC OEMs are responsible by a part....the other part is programmed by Apple....i doubt that things are really optimized as much as they could be...
    I would fully put the blame on the game developers yes.
    I have ported my OpenGL code to OS X and iOS, and in both cases I had absolutely no issues with performance or compatibility (the common layer that Apple implements is only very minor anyway, and mainly used to set up the screen, the grunt rendering work is all done by the GLD).

    Quote Originally Posted by AJSB View Post
    When you have bad quality game ports, high prices for the hardware, with a brand that is the only one making the MACs and with a tight grip of what is sold and/or approved to that platform, it's bound to NEVER be more than a product for an Elite.
    Regardless, the Mac market is 2-3 times as large as the linux market.

  3. #173
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    143

  4. #174

    Default

    I hope this one will have OpenGL 4 support.

  5. #175
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    80

    Default

    I'm heading over to Valve HQ at the end of this month.
    Can't wait to visit their Linux dev cabal (I already got the okay for that).

  6. #176
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    Is there anyone with interest in replacing OpenGL(Linux or not)?? In case there is such a big demand for D3D on Linux they can write a State tracker and be done with it. Can't they??
    Well, its doable. All you'd really need is a 1:1 function equivalent for every OGL call. Problem is, so many DX functions rely on various Windows calls, you need to emulate those too to a certain extent. Plus, the overhead cost of running an interpreter.

    Also remember its not just the graphics part of the game you need to rip out to make a port, you also need to remove all those windows specific API calls, and I can assure you theres a LOT of them. So making a OGL to DX wrapper won't magically make everything ported to linux.

  7. #177
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Some interesting comments (Q&A) from blog:
    Durandle says:
    Iím interested to read that the rendering is achieved via a D3D > OpenGL abstraction layer, especially as it appears to be faster to do that than native D3D usage, that seems somewhat counter intuitive!

    Iíd be interested to know though if your abstraction layer is generic enough that it could be applied with the same success to non-source-engine games, since that would be a nice big door to open, unless thatís something you donít wish to discuss right now! The prospect of an almost no-effort-needed wrapper that achieves native performance is a good one.
    Valve Linux team says:
    Although the abstraction layer is currently quite powerful donít think of it as an ďalmost no-effort-neededĒ layer. A lot of time and effort was spent to get the layer (and L4D2) to the point it is today and we still arenít finished.
    Durandle says:
    Is it overly simplistic to think of it as a library that exposes a DirectX API that converts to OpenGL on the fly?
    (...) Would it be valid to compare what you are doing to be similar to what Transgamingís Cider does?
    Valve Linux team says:
    Itís too early to answer those questions as weíre still learning a lot about Linux porting but it is our hope that this work will be useful for porting games besides L4D2.

  8. #178
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,729

    Default

    When is the siggraph talk? I couldn't find the date on the siggraph site.

  9. #179
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamerk2 View Post
    Well, its doable. All you'd really need is a 1:1 function equivalent for every OGL call. Problem is, so many DX functions rely on various Windows calls, you need to emulate those too to a certain extent. Plus, the overhead cost of running an interpreter.

    Also remember its not just the graphics part of the game you need to rip out to make a port, you also need to remove all those windows specific API calls, and I can assure you theres a LOT of them. So making a OGL to DX wrapper won't magically make everything ported to linux.
    Given the OS X port, its probably OK to assume those specific Win API calls are going to some sort of abstraction layer. They'll still need to write the functionality, but I imagine its a lot simpler when you're not playing hunt the platform specific code.

  10. #180
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    I couldn't find the date on the siggraph site.
    Good question. AFAIK they will be at the OpenGL Birds of a Feather Wednesday, 8 August 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm | JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. Live - Gold Ballroom Salon 3 . Any additional info? Slides, video, live streaming?
    Last edited by kwahoo; 08-08-2012 at 09:32 AM. Reason: link

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •