Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nokia's Actions Already Harm Qt 5.0 Release

Hybrid View

Default Nokia's Actions Already Harm Qt 5.0 Release

Phoronix: Nokia's Actions Already Harm Qt 5.0 Release

With Nokia shutting down their Qt Australia office -- and looking to sell off Qt -- this has already directly harmed the forthcoming Qt 5.0 tool-kit release...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE1Mjg

Thumbs up I LOLed

Now we can all see the consequences of compromising freedom for 15 years.
    http://i.imgur.com/I6GSf.gif

A free fork (sans CLA) now!
    Last edited by funkSTAR; 08-02-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Same kind of crap will happen with Mono sooner or later....not that i use it or i'm a big fan of it...quite opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSB View Post
    Same kind of crap will happen with Mono sooner or later....not that i use it or i'm a big fan of it...quite opposite.
    Mono already went through this. Ximian was bought by big company (Novell), big company got into trouble, Mono team got laid off.

And now Mono is stronger than before and Xamarin is doing extremely well.

Quote Originally Posted by 0xCAFE View Post
    Mono already went through this. Ximian was bought by big company (Novell), big company got into trouble, Mono team got laid off.

And now Mono is stronger than before and Xamarin is doing extremely well.
    Oh yeah., i just remember now that...who is in charge of the free stuff nowdays in terms of Mono ? Xamarin also ?!?

Quote Originally Posted by AJSB View Post
    Oh yeah., i just remember now that...who is in charge of the free stuff nowdays in terms of Mono ? Xamarin also ?!?
    Yes. Although there hasn't been a major release since the Mono team moved to Xamarin yet.

Default Delayed QT5 and the effect on KDE - Positive?

A delay in QT5 might not be all bad. I mean, there's a silver lining in everything.

KDE4 in the last few releases(4.6, 4.7, and especially 4.8) has simply been amazing. I'm looking forward here soon to installing 4.9 and having a go at it. (amazing with a caveat - sure, I've noticed bugs here and there. That's to be expected in a community environment where we are the bug testers)

From what I understand, KDE5 isn't planned to be so earth-shattering as KDE4 was, but still. A KDE 4.10, 4.11, 4.12 and so forth that further builds upon the already matured code base longer than it otherwise would have might be a good thing, before QT5 and thus KDE5 arrives.

How many times to you see people around here complain about how buggy that KDE is? A delay which forces further maturation(read: bug squashing) might be just what the doctor ordered.
    Last edited by halfmanhalfamazing; 08-02-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
    A delay which forces further maturation(read: bug squashing) might be just what the doctor ordered.
    Yeah but this is not what pushy people at Nokia are ordering. They want proven customer cases to show the paying crowd. And KDE is a nice puppet who follows Qt. So you will se (an attempt) to port to Qt5 even before Qt5 is ready and KDE is ready. Sad but true.
    Last edited by funkSTAR; 08-02-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
    A delay in QT5 might not be all bad. I mean, there's a silver lining in everything.

KDE4 in the last few releases(4.6, 4.7, and especially 4.8) has simply been amazing. I'm looking forward here soon to installing 4.9 and having a go at it. (amazing with a caveat - sure, I've noticed bugs here and there. That's to be expected in a community environment where we are the bug testers)

From what I understand, KDE5 isn't planned to be so earth-shattering as KDE4 was, but still. A KDE 4.10, 4.11, 4.12 and so forth that further builds upon the already matured code base longer than it otherwise would have might be a good thing, before QT5 and thus KDE5 arrives.

How many times to you see people around here complain about how buggy that KDE is? A delay which forces further maturation(read: bug squashing) might be just what the doctor ordered.
    I'd port KDE4.xx to Qt5.0 and call this KDE5.
    There is actually nothing left under KDE hood that has to be polished.

I, also, don't understand this whole critizism behind current dual-licensed Qt.
    You are offered feature-parity and if anyone decides to base his closed-source code on Qt, he has to pay for closed source Qt version - and as such he pushes Qt development.
    If he wants to use it within his opensourced code (regardless if he makes money with this or not), he has opensource version.
    Both versions have feature parity.

The only single thing in this model left is - upstream unwilling to accept patches, as it was with Oracle.
    Then, the whole model turns from opensource into opencore, and THATs unacceptable, as it does reduce the functionality of open software to shareware equivalent.
    This is why openoffice was forked.
    Last edited by crazycheese; 08-02-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Now we can all se the consequences of compromising freedom for 15 years.
    http://i.imgur.com/I6GSf.gif

A free fork (sans CLA) now!
    Are you a troll? WTF is wrong with you?
    It's LGPL what more do you want, people don't work for free, Qt needs a CLA so they can license a commercial version.
    Even Stallman is fine with this business model and CLAs.

It's free software whatever you say, the fact that you _can_ fork it shows it is free.