Thread: Oracle Releases VirtualBox 4.2 Beta 1

Default Oracle Releases VirtualBox 4.2 Beta 1

Phoronix: Oracle Releases VirtualBox 4.2 Beta 1

Oracle has put out their first (beta) development release of Oracle VM VirtualBox 4.2. The 4.2 release series brings several new features to this easy-to-use virtualization platform...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE1MzY

It looks like they're adding more server virtualization features to this product. I would like to play with this on my home server once it's released and stabilized.

It's amazing that have the open-source virtualization options that we have today - including QEMU/KVM, Xen, and VirtualBox.

They should seriously push their quest and host modules to upstream Linux. I hate having to compile and install the modules every now and then. If I'm not mistaken the reason why they aren't already is because their quality is crap.

anyone know what expert mode offers, or what it will offer?

Hmm, I wonder how the work on IOMMU is going for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    They should seriously push their quest and host modules to upstream Linux. I hate having to compile and install the modules every now and then. If I'm not mistaken the reason why they aren't already is because their quality is crap.
    DKMS manages that for me quite well

...the GUI has an expert mode for wizards...
    I'm sure Gandalf will be pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by hiddenmaverick
    I would like to play with this on my home server once it's released and stabilized.
    I'm using Virtualbox 4.1 on a Mac Mini to run a proper server OS (Ubuntu 12.04) and it works great. I even managed to conjure up a startup script so that it starts the VM on boot and stops it at shutdown, so I don't see what they mean by "support for starting VMs during system boot" as that's already possible with VBoxHeadless and VBoxManage. Maybe they are just including the needed startup scripts instead of letting users come up with with their own?

Quote Originally Posted by devius View Post
    I'm sure Gandalf will be pleased.

Maybe they are just including the needed startup scripts instead of letting users come up with with their own?
    LOL!

I'd imagine so. Perhaps also "support" as in "answers your questions about them".