Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: AHCI vs. IDE Modes With A SATA 3.0 SSD On Linux

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,400

    Default AHCI vs. IDE Modes With A SATA 3.0 SSD On Linux

    Phoronix: AHCI vs. IDE Modes With A SATA 3.0 SSD On Linux

    Days ago benchmarks were shared from OpenBenchmarking.org that compared AHCI and IDE modes under Linux when it came to the resulting disk performance. There was a fair amount of interest generated out of that so some AHCI vs. IDE mode comparisons from a Serial ATA 3.0 SSD on an Ubuntu Linux host were benchmarked at Phoronix.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17708

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,275

    Default

    On some mobos AHCI mode slows down boot by several seconds (in the bios phase, as it fires up some code and probes drives). This happen with the test hw?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    470

    Default

    Cool, I've always wondered which is the better performer. Now to check if I remembered to have AHCI after the last bios flash.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut,USA
    Posts
    972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    On some mobos AHCI mode slows down boot by several seconds (in the bios phase, as it fires up some code and probes drives). This happen with the test hw?
    That's the tradeoff for having decent disk performance though on some systems

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    22

    Default

    If anyone EVER considers using IDE mode with an SSD: DON'T!

    In general, linux won't even detect that your SSD supports TRIM in IDE mode. You'll end up with a very slow/useless/ready for low level format SSD, very soon.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    59

    Default

    What I've often wondered is if any additional tweaks are needed when running an SSD with 12.04. Seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there as to what to do to "preserve life" and "increase performance." I know Windows 7 identifies an SSD and configures it differently than an HDD, but I've always wondered what the Linux distros do.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Me too - and I'd like to hear it from an expert, supported with benchmarks or proof instead of just theory. I've left mine as-is so far - it's running splendidly.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyPaw View Post
    What I've often wondered is if any additional tweaks are needed when running an SSD with 12.04. Seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there as to what to do to "preserve life" and "increase performance." I know Windows 7 identifies an SSD and configures it differently than an HDD, but I've always wondered what the Linux distros do.
    Align the sectors, enable trim, keep additional free space to trim and wear leveling actually have the chance to work. Everything else is just sort of gravy. Moving swap into tempfs or zCache is great if you have the RAM to do it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WorBlux View Post
    Align the sectors, enable trim, keep additional free space to trim and wear leveling actually have the chance to work. Everything else is just sort of gravy. Moving swap into tempfs or zCache is great if you have the RAM to do it.
    I've actually disabled swap with seemingly no ill effects. I have 8GB of RAM and usually sit around 1.5-2.0GB usage under normal conditions.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,801

    Default

    Most people don't have SSDs, so why not bench disks instead?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •