How Valve Made L4D2 Faster On Linux Than Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
    For the love of... SONY AND NINTENDO DO NOT USE OPENGL!! At all, period. There is a _proprietary_ heavily-modified "kinda sorta" GL|ES wrapper library for PS3 which essentially nobody uses because making proper use of the PS3 does not fit into the D3D/GL API models. Nintendo has never released any hardware that supports shaders (the Wii U will be their first when it comes out later this year) and their past hardware instead relies on a TEV unit, and also has other various very weird and different hardware behavior that does not at all fit into the D3D/GL model, and they also use a proprietary custom API.

NVIDIA, AMD, and Intel all produce Direct3D drivers last I checked. They don't "use OpenGL" any more than they use Direct3D.

Google also does not solely use OpenGL as you think. Chrome on Windows exclusively uses Direct3D, despite having an entire OpenGL layer. They went out of their way to engineer ANGLE specifically to solve the massive real-world problems with OpenGL driver quality from the fine, fine folks at NVIDIA, AMD, and Intel.

That leaves Apple as the only company in your list that are solely consuming OpenGL and not Direct3D. That alone does not mean anything, of course, but don't go around claiming that somehow it's only Microsoft -- and not practically the entire industry -- that uses Direct3D.

Especially when it comes to things like gaming and consumer devices, of which Microsoft's platforms still makes up a majority, with Apple and Google picking up the brunt of the weight in the low-end mobile space.
    There's a lot of poop in that post.

nVidia, AMD and Intel produce direct3d drivers ONLY for microsoft OSes. They produce OpenGL driveres for windows and THE REST. But I don't think you ment to say that.

Yes, Google uses directx for chrome on windows. But why was that again, due to performance and future compatibility (MS was claiming to remove opengl etc). So far, it still holds, that D3D only works and is used on windows. And to say it again, OpenGL works on pretty much every platform. Even if the ps3 ES version is slow, it still exists. D3D, only exists on windows and xbox (and maybe windows phone something in some time). So most if not all the original statements hold, and you sir, talk poop.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaosenemy View Post
      This. I'm confused by everything that's being said here. Direct3D translators? What is all this crazy talk?

Code:
      void DrawSomething()
      {
          #if defined(WIN32)
              D3D9Blahblah();
          #elif defined(__linux__)
              glBlahblah();
          #elif defined(__APPLE__)
              glBlahblahAPPLE();
          #endif
      }
      Certainly this is what most devs do right?
      Assuming those are inlineable (word?) functions during compilation, that's exactly what I was talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
        They produce OpenGL driveres for windows and THE REST.
        No, they don't. They produce OpenGL drivers for Windows and Linux (and a few other Linux-like OSes). Nothing else. OS X's drivers are written by Apple. The other platforms, again, do not use OpenGL (or D3D).

Windows, incidentally, is one of the few platforms that actually gives its developers a choice of which API to use. For a long time, they made the choice of OpenGL, because it was much better than the early D3D crap that Microsoft was peddling. Microsoft -- unlike Khronos -- actually iterated on and improved their API. Microsoft -- unlike NVIDIA, AMD, or Intel -- put a huge amount of time and effort into engineering fixes for the stability and security problems that NVIDIA's, AMD's, and Intel's (and the other players in the video card market that have mostly disappeared) drivers all had and still have today.

That's why Linux users get to go on and on and on about how Linux is a more secure OS while their fucking video drivers insert local root exploits directly into ring-0 and Windows users have an OS that recognizes that video drivers are scary huge complex beasts and completely isolates the driver from the app. On Linux, frequent video driver problems cause the entire desktop to boot out, the machine to seemingly lock up with no way to restore graphics, or just causes a kernel oops or a reboot. On Windows, your game gets a signal that it lost connection to the device, your screen goes black for a few seconds while the driver is restarted, and then you're either back in the game or at an otherwise unmolested desktop (with all your other apps still open, no data lost, etc.).

Think about it. Linux's DRI is all about letting userspace code directly submit command streams to the kernel. It essentially has to implement a helluva-complex security whitelisting/blacklisting model in order to ensure that apps can't do anything not-nice. A saner approach forces the API layer (OpenGL, Direct3D, whichever; doesn't matter) over IPC to another, secured process that is the only one allowed to talk to the hardware/kernel. But hey, Linux OpenGL gets higher FPS in L4D2 than Direct3D because its draw call overhead is lower due to a lack of extra context switches! Let's talk about that instead, because it makes Linux look better.

I'm not generally on the micro-kernel bandwagon, but certainly some things deserve to go that model more than others do.

And this is the reason why I keep bitching about these things. There's no some kind of magical unicorn fairy properties about D3D vs OpenGL. It's just engineering and tech. It's 100% solvable problems. But people keep making decisions based on politics, emotions, and cluelessness rather than technical merit. And so Linux continues to be a nerd hobbyist OS on the desktop and a Web server in the Enterprise and a barely-recognizable mutated android on mobile devices, despite being so awesome in so many other ways. Instead of being a defensive jerk, you could actually _do_ something to close the gap between Windows and Linux in this space. God knows I'd be thrilled if there was one with enough mass behind it to actually succeed. Instead, you want to reflexively rage against anyone daring to imply that Microsoft managed to do something right that Linux and OpenWhatever does wrong. The community could quite probably put together an API even better than D3D11 by a long shot. it's not like D3D11 is perfect; it's just that it's far far far less shitty than OpenGL. But nope; most of you have no freaking clue what OpenGL even does or how it works or how to use it, but you'll be damned if you're gonna let some uppity dude tell you that an API isn't well designed or implemented.

Yes, Google uses directx for chrome on windows. But why was that again, due to performance and future compatibility (MS was claiming to remove opengl etc).
        WebGL and ANGLE were not written until years after the Vista OpenGL scare was long past. Performance was also not a major concern for this use case. You're making wild assumptions rather than stating facts. I on the other hand have very direct knowledge about what went into the decision to use D3D/ANGLE for Chrome and Mozilla on Windows.

Talking poop indeed, sir.

So far, it still holds, that D3D only works and is used on windows.
        D3D is actually used on more platforms if you want to talk about translation layers that let developers code to D3D. That is what Transgaming has allowed for years, and apparently is what Valve did for Source. You obviously don't want to include that option, though, so let's just ignore it, and say D3D is only for Windows/XBox.

Wait, there have been efforts on writing native Gallium D3D drivers... but nah, the community rejects those because Microsoft is so so very evil, so let's ignore those, too. D3D is only for Windows/XBox.

I suppose I could bring up how Gallium internally is built on an API very similar to D3D10/11's, because APIs designed for actual real modern hardware are going to be pretty similar, and very different than OpenGL, but that's an entirely different tangent. D3D is only for Windows/XBox.

And to say it again, OpenGL works on pretty much every platform. Even if the ps3 ES version is slow, it still exists.
        Except that it doesn't. There's an OpenGL ES derived API layer that is incompatible with OpenGL ES code you write for every other modern OpenGL ES based platform. It uses a different shading language than OpenGL ES, exposes features comparable to OpenGL ES 2.0 but does so in a non-standard way over an OpenGL ES 1.1 derived API, requires the use of non-standard proprietary extensions, and is generally about as much like OpenGL as Budweiser is like beer.

You're also still conveniently ignoring the other platforms that don't have anything that even remotely smells like OpenGL, which were listed as users of OpenGL.

Really though, even if PS3 had a complete desktop OpenGL 2.1 stack, the fact remains that it's unused. It's still not truthful to mention Sony as a "user" of OpenGL in a meaningful capacity. One might as well say that Microsoft is a user of Bob even though nobody external or internal to the company uses the damn thing and it's abandoned and unsupported.

Comment

where can I find more information about porting games from Windows to Linux? I am trying to understand all these terms (such as abstract layer, dynamic translate, wrapper, API etc).

PS: (please don't link me to Google...). Any links or books would be a better option. If you would like send it via PM.

Thanks

Comment

That's why Linux users get to go on and on and on about how Linux is a more secure OS while their fucking video drivers insert local root exploits directly into ring-0 and Windows users have an OS that recognizes that video drivers are scary huge complex beasts and completely isolates the driver from the app. On Linux, frequent video driver problems cause the entire desktop to boot out, the machine to seemingly lock up with no way to restore graphics, or just causes a kernel oops or a reboot. On Windows, your game gets a signal that it lost connection to the device, your screen goes black for a few seconds while the driver is restarted, and then you're either back in the game or at an otherwise unmolested desktop (with all your other apps still open, no data lost, etc.).
            BS !!!

I stopped reading right there !!!

You Sir, clearly didn't play enough Windows games !!! (...and i'm not talking about Indie games, i'm talking about AAA games ! )

I can assure you that also in Windows i had complete freezes of games because of video drivers and self-reboots !!!

Comment

Haha what a bunch of crap. It seems you have missed all of those DOS era vulnerabilities and UAC propaganda bullshit which is broken by design. On Windows you get BSoD when your video driver crashes and maybe in few cases there's a chance to save you from it. Last time I heard windows security experts are bunch of monkeys who puts some random stuff everywhere and pray it will save it from destruction. When fglrx crashed on my Linux box just X server was restarted. That's all. Windows users have an OS that's vulnerable and messed up by design. The most messed up OS ever.
              Last edited by kraftman; 11 August 2012, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                BS !!!

I stopped reading right there !!!

You Sir, clearly didn't play enough Windows games !!! (...and i'm not talking about Indie games, i'm talking about AAA games ! )

I can assure you that also in Windows i had complete freezes of games because of video drivers and self-reboots !!!
                That's the reality and this is proven. However, Elanthis is just M$ evangelists who trolls against Linux, but the guy has no clue about it.

Comment

I never had freezes in W7. Not a single time. Application crashes, yes. System freezes, never.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaosenemy View Post
                    This. I'm confused by everything that's being said here. Direct3D translators? What is all this crazy talk?

Code:
                    void DrawSomething()
                    {
                        #if defined(WIN32)
                            D3D9Blahblah();
                        #elif defined(__linux__)
                            glBlahblah();
                        #elif defined(__APPLE__)
                            glBlahblahAPPLE();
                        #endif
                    }
                    Certainly this is what most devs do right?
                    Not really, as it turns out. Sometimes things just aren't that simple, which is why different render backends are used (ogre uses plugins for that). Even simple things like matrix manipulation can be different, depending on if the underlying graphics API uses row or column major.
                    In the case of OpenGL, you also have to look at which version you're using. OpenGL 3.x and 4.x do things a little differently to 2.x, so depending on which one you want to support, things are done differently.
                    Also, trying to get a large code base maintained with #define's sprinkled throughout the rendering calls is the stuff of nightmares.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      I never had freezes in W7. Not a single time. Application crashes, yes. System freezes, never.
                      So you're lucky. However, there are many examples of such crashes:

To answer some Elanthis stupidity:

http://www.definiteanswers.com/q/Why...-4be52b8dec601 - this for sure made Windows much more secure! What a dumb. And... if he's assuming Linux is faster in graphic than Windows, because of Windows' additional security he's mistaken as usual:

Linux and Windows are two operating systems that use supervisor/user-mode. To perform specialized functions, user-mode code must perform a system call into supervisor mode or even to the kernel space where trusted code of the operating system will perform the needed task and return it back to user space.
                      But Linux does it in a much more efficient way:

There's also the other way around. The Linux kernel, e.g., injects a VDSO section in processes which contains functions who would normally require a system call, i.e. a ring transition. But instead of doing a syscall, these functions use static data provided by the kernel which prevents the need for a ring transition which is more lightweight than a syscall. The function gettimeofday can be provided this way.
                      PS. Here's more about Windows graphic and security as a bonus:

http://www.reactos.org/en/dev_faq.html [graphic part]
                      Last edited by kraftman; 11 August 2012, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X