Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wayland Support For Cursor Themes

Default Wayland Support For Cursor Themes

Phoronix: Wayland Support For Cursor Themes

After several interesting news items in recent days about Wayland, the latest is that Wayland/Weston now has support for cursor themes...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE1OTA

I was getting worried that this critical feature was missing.

How about per users theme, one for me and one for mind blind grandmother.

Default Scaleable cursors

How about scaleable cursors for high-DPI displays?

Maybe that little raster graphics cursor works fine on a 72 dpi display, but on a 350 dpi high display in high resolution it becomes too small.

Cursors needs to be scaleable. It needs be vector graphics, not raster graphics. Like SVG.

The cursor theme mechanism is the old one copied from X or is it a new one?

E.g I once tried to create a cursor theme but there were strange requirements to create weird image formats for the cursor for which there was a special application, and I thought to myself "that is stupid". See "step 6" here.

Quote Originally Posted by AJenbo View Post
    How about per users theme, one for me and one for mind blind grandmother.

The weston.ini file IS in the users ~/.config/ folder...

Default Not explanatory

The title of this article is misleading as the handling of cursors has nothing to do with the window system in Wayland - It should have been named "Weston Support For Cursor Themes".

And though I agree that it may not be a critical feature, it is actaully nice to see that the Wayland team has a reference implementation of it along with their reference compositor(aka. Weston).
    Last edited by vitiv; 08-13-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    How about scaleable cursors for high-DPI displays?

Maybe that little raster graphics cursor works fine on a 72 dpi display, but on a 350 dpi high display in high resolution it becomes too small.

Cursors needs to be scaleable. It needs be vector graphics, not raster graphics. Like SVG.
    The DE would be responsible for this, Wayland has no restrictions on what format the image is loaded from. Though this articale is actually about Weston witch is a DE so in that regard your question is valid.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdopolis View Post
    The weston.ini file IS in the users ~/.config/ folder...
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by vitiv View Post
    The title of this article is misleading as the handling of cursors has nothing to do with the window system in Wayland - It should have been named "Weston Support For Cursor Themes".

And though I agree that it may not be a critical feature, it is actaully nice to see that the Wayland team has a reference implementation of it along with their reference compositor(aka. Weston).
    Good point.

I would like to have scalable cursors.
    About file format support: jpg and png support for bitmap cursors and svg for vector cursors.
    Also multiple cursors input devices.
    (Bind keyboard to cursor to form a keyboard-cursor pair, make input devices groups that belong together. Being binded should be only mandatory for something such as keyboards that really need a mouse or another pointing device. No need to e.g. limit a controller. Consoles can handle multiple input devices why not on pc's? Answer: It can be done on PC!)
    Last edited by plonoma; 08-13-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by plonoma View Post
    I would like to have scalable cursors.
    About file format support: jpg and png support for bitmap cursors and svg for vector cursors.
    Also multiple cursors input devices.
    (Bind keyboard to cursor to form a keyboard-cursor pair, make input devices groups that belong together. Being binded should be only mandatory for something such as keyboards that really need a mouse or another pointing device. No need to e.g. limit a controller. Consoles can handle multiple input devices why not on pc's? Answer: It can be done on PC!)
    No, not JPEG. JPEG does not support alpha channel (transparency), so it is not suitable for a cursor. Not to mention it is lossy compression.

It should be PNG and SVG.