Thread: Features Coming Up For Xen 4.2 Virtualization

Default Features Coming Up For Xen 4.2 Virtualization

Phoronix: Features Coming Up For Xen 4.2 Virtualization

Xen 4.2 will be released in the near future for this one of the leading virtualization platforms available for Linux. Xen 4.2 is packing in a number of new features...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE1OTc

Not to sound like a noob but Xen really needs a good GUI of its own. Xen seems to have as many or maybe more features than some of the best VM tools out there. To me, one of the only compelling reasons to support a GUI is to give a more user friendly way of using most (or all) features a program has to offer in an organized manner. Certain programs eventually become so big that their manuals are just annoying to filter through and daunting for new users. A properly made GUI can make enough of a difference that users can understand the significance of whether something is needed or not, if they're using something properly, or understand what something does without looking at a help file.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Not to sound like a noob but Xen really needs a good GUI of its own. Xen seems to have as many or maybe more features than some of the best VM tools out there. To me, one of the only compelling reasons to support a GUI is to give a more user friendly way of using most (or all) features a program has to offer in an organized manner. Certain programs eventually become so big that their manuals are just annoying to filter through and daunting for new users. A properly made GUI can make enough of a difference that users can understand the significance of whether something is needed or not, if they're using something properly, or understand what something does without looking at a help file.
    Well for basic usage Virt-Manager does well enough as a gui. It does not support more advanced configurations but users needing this probably don't mind the command line. I find Xen configuration files to be fairly straightforward so I only use virt-manager as a vnc/spice client.

Finally there is power management support for the AMD Bulldozer. :-)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    It's called XenCenter for windows. You can connect it to XCP packages on any distro. Have fun.

or openxenmanager or convirture.

If you want a little desktop app virt, virtualbox and KVM are type2 hypervisors for you, Xen is not the same thing, apples and oranges.

Almost half a year has gone since this announcement and promise to come up with a Xen 4.2 review (or benchmark?). By now Xen 4.2 has long been released, but I didn't see yet any review etc. on Phoronix. Have I missed something?