Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: KMSCON Is Getting Ready To Kick The Kernel Console

Did we really need another Pulseaudio/SystemD thread?

It's quickly becoming the new Nazis, the longer any topic goes on the probability of Lennart being mentioned grows near 1.

I'm pretty excited for this to get some traction. We will get full featured, hardware accelerated consoles. I imagine that Valve and the linux gaming community at large are cheering for this kind of development. I don't think we'll be seeing console software much more that we see been developed today, but mplayer, maybe SDL, with a KMS console support would be great.

As a gentoo user, I can't say anything about systemd. Although I also use Ubuntu, "it just works" and I don't mind about the under the hood things, like I care when it concerns my gentoo box. On the other hand, I have some experience with pulseaudio. I have two negative points about ALSA:
    1- Who the hell invented that configuration file syntax? Did anyone actually thought it would be usable? Is there even an accessible manual for that? I was at a loss when messing with ALSA, I always ended up copying someone else snippets, without knowing what I was doing. Please, point me to some documentation if there is any. I like their online database of hardware configurations, etc, it was a very good idea, but the configuration is just an immense pain in the ass. I'd rather have pulseaudio mess with that.
    2- Can ALSA switch output devices on the fly? May I swap the output device of my mp3 from the laptop internal speakers to the recently connect tv, through an hdmi cable? I could do that with Windows, I can do that with PulseAudio. Can I do that with ALSA? Never got it to work.