Thread: GDB 7.5 Supports Google Go, x32 ABI

Hybrid View

Default GDB 7.5 Supports Google Go, x32 ABI

Phoronix: GDB 7.5 Supports Google Go, x32 ABI

A new release of the GNU Project Debugger (GDB) brings several features and other improvements...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE2NDA

Why do some people always call it "Google Go"? No one says "AT&T C" or "Sun Java" or "Ericsson Erlang" or "Netscape JavaScript" or "IBM Fortran". It's an open source project that has more contributors than just Google employees. Golang.org doesn't even have a Google logo on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 0xCAFE View Post
    Why do some people always call it "Google Go"? No one says "AT&T C" or "Sun Java" or "Ericsson Erlang" or "Netscape JavaScript" or "IBM Fortran". It's an open source project that has more contributors than just Google employees. Golang.org doesn't even have a Google logo on it.
    I tend to use "Google Go" as it makes the name more unique, which is useful when searching for information about the language. The other languages you listed all have unique names

I find myself saying it out of habit because whenever I need to look up some information on the language, I have to either use "Google Go" or "golang" because Go is such a generic word.

Quote Originally Posted by Vax456 View Post
    I find myself saying it out of habit because whenever I need to look up some information on the language, I have to either use "Google Go" or "golang" because Go is such a generic word.
    "C" is such a generic letter and I've never had problems with it.

They do say Sun Java, if lately only to distance it from Oracle Java.

"C" is such a generic letter and I've never had problems with it.
    There aren't a lot of things called C besides just the language. The few that exist are very unpopular in comparison to the language.

There are several things called Go besides just the language. One or two of those are much more popular than the language.

Also maybe to not confuse it with the other Go language:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go!_(programming_language)