Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
I was under the impression that the major players are adopting a mildly optimistic "wait-and-see" strategy, actually.

The number of people regularly contributing to Wayland is tiny. I don't mind the slow pace, if they are really going to completely re-arrange the way GUI works on Linux, I'd rather that they get it right than rush something half-baked. The major (promised) advantages of Wayland are primarily infrastructural -- cleaner code, less cruft, more direct interfaces, the actual benefits for the end-user will not be huge performance improvements (all relevant stuff like 3d and GUI toolkits can bypass X almost completely already), but hopefully more stability and reliability. And this takes TIME.
I believe that it will offer a more polished experience for the end user. No blinking screens during bootup and that stuff. I think it can also be started early in the boot process so it might make things feel a bit faster (from start button to login screen) . Maybe it can even reduce the mess with the blobs since its a more simple interface i think .

Intel is behind it, Tizen uses it and i think meego/MerProject () , Canonical will use it, Qt people have things done etc. I don't think this will die.

We now wait for the DE people to get things done in order to have full DE on it. And of course apps are not there.