Thread: Quad-Core ODROID-X Tested Against PlayStation 3

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    didn't say that I insist it's a dual core, I'm stating that's what the benchmark posted it as - way to be an ass about it.
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean it that way. What I meant is, "if you'd prefer to look at it as a dual-core CPU", but I'm not implying that you actually prefer it.

After some research, I'm not finding anything stating that PS3's processor is dual-threaded from several different sources.
    I wrote those things from my memory, since I haven't worked with the Cell in a long time, but a search on Google turned up this (link). "The PPU is a dual-issue, in-order processor with dual-thread support."

While I don't fully understand the idea of SPEs, they seem to be actual physical cores, and there's 8 of them.
    I think you misunderstood me. Yes, there are 8 SPEs and they are physical. What I said about not being physical cores was regarding the PPE, not for the SPEs. There is 1 PPE, which is a derivateve of a PowerPC core, and there are 8 SPEs, which are meant for stream processing. Linux applications by default, when not optimized explicitly for the Cell, only make use of the PPE. The SPEs can also be used under Linux, but not by Linux, and they need special programming/support. What I'm pretty sure of is that none of the phoronix tests used the SPEs. The SPEs weren't disabled explicitly, they just weren't used, at least I guess, because I am not familiar with the test suit. It's like running 16bit applications on a 64bit CPU and then complaining that the CPU has bad performance. The comparison simply wasn't fair/done correctly, because if my guess is right, the tests don't even try to utilize the full potentional of the Cell. Maybe someone could confirm that?
    Last edited by ultimA; 08-24-2012 at 02:35 PM.