Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canonical Plans To Drop Alternate Ubuntu CDs

Quote Originally Posted by rrohbeck View Post
    Remember, "Ubuntu" is African for "I can't configure Debian."
    Technically it is Zulu for "people" although that is synonymous with English words like humanity and mankind :-)

I personally have a PXE server setup. It provides a bootable kernel/initrd that then start the install or rescue process. It points to a local preseed file that points at my caching proxy web server which will then have cached all the files that are used. This setup is very quick and easy. I also have PXE serve up the contents of an Ubuntu DVD. The kernel/initrd go over TFTP and then the rest is via NFS with the iso loopback mounted. That gives me a desktop environment.

Unfortunately all the installers are a pain when it comes to advanced partitioning. I use btrfs everywhere and they don't let you set options like compression. The text mode installer does however let you setup LUKS/dmcrypt pretty nicely.

For users with Nvidia cards this is annoying, I remember the time where fan didn't worked with open source driver.
    If the card even don't works at all this more annoying.

Alright, not a too long time ago we did a mass deployment of ubuntu 12.04 by pxe-booting a pre-seeded alternative installer.

I'm very interested in how this will turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Its a big deal for those of us who have to use the Alternate cd and I'm not going to jump through more hoops to get a workable desktop by using the server version. If it does happen I might be going back to windows and think about those newcomers that will try Ubuntu and if it fails will think that their hardware isn't supported and will stick with windows too.

I put this idiocy on par with the call to drop 32bit support, a great way to loose more customers or do Canonical think they have enough already?
    Don't make a fool of yourself. You would change the to an entirely different OS, just because the "short-term" release of a particular Linux distribution comes without one particular installation medium? Do you think you can improve on that bullshit?

I put this idiocy on par with the call to drop 32bit support, a great way to loose more customers or do Canonical think they have enough already?
    Yeah, because 32bit ISO is so MUST HAVE (you just can't live without that placebo speed). And no, you don't use Ubuntu on old computers, you have Lubuntu for that. RTFM.

Its a big deal for those of us who have to use the Alternate cd and I'm not going to jump through more hoops to get a workable desktop by using the server version. If it does happen I might be going back to windows and think about those newcomers that will try Ubuntu and if it fails will think that their hardware isn't supported and will stick with windows too.

Canonical has never planned AFAIK to drop 32 bit support, just to not make it the default. But I also need the alternate installer, since I like LVM. So unless the new one supports lvm I'm going to be really disappointed.

I simply preferred the alternate cd due to the text-based installer. It takes over two minutes to load the desktop on the normal cd.

Quote Originally Posted by gQuigs View Post
    Why do you need to use the alternate CD?
    LVM + encryption

On my country where internet from home is both costly and slow, I use alternate cds to update Ubuntu versions. I download Alternate CD from my university and use that as a repository for updating so total internet used for updating is minimal. Now its a bad news for me.

If it does happen I might be going back to windows
    What's stopping you? Go for it!