Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA To Discontinue Linux Support For Some GPUs

Hybrid View

Default NVIDIA To Discontinue Linux Support For Some GPUs

Phoronix: NVIDIA To Discontinue Linux Support For Some GPUs

I have confirmed with NVIDIA that the current 304.xx Linux graphics driver series is "the last release branch for some cards, including GeForce 6/7."..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE3MDA

I would be interested to see how many people still have this (and other hardware like old CPUs) going. My 6600GT conked out 2 years ago along with my friend's one. I'm on a 4850 (grrr..) and my friend has a 9800GTX.

Quote Originally Posted by beaverusiv View Post
    I would be interested to see how many people still have this (and other hardware like old CPUs) going. My 6600GT conked out 2 years ago along with my friend's one. I'm on a 4850 (grrr..) and my friend has a 9800GTX.
    I had a 7950 GX2 up until a few months ago, and then I grabbed a GeForce 210 for $10... less power, much, much less heat, it's fanless so there's no noise, and it completely fixed my intermittent suspend issues. It's good enough for desktop use, and I already have a GTX 570 in the gaming system so I didn't need anything too crazy.

Seeing as nvidia do not support the nouveau project or even recognize it the 7950 i have will essentially be useless and should be discarded in favour of a newer nvidia card? (according to nvidia anyway)

does friends of the earth know about this? landfill full of working nvidia chips because of a company policy? will people stop bitching about amd/ati now? will people understand the importance of an open driver?

i'm not using the card atm so i'll find a chump on ebay to give me a tenner for it ( i think i paid about 100 for it :S )

There is legacy drivers.

NVIDIA To Discontinue Linux Support For Some GPUs
    Should read

NVIDIA To Discontinue Support For Some GPUs on Linux
    Nvidia does not support Linux, and cannot "stop" supporting something they didn't support to begin with. Nvidia supports their GPUs and releases a binary driver to enable their users to utilize them under linux.

F

SEND YOUR GPUs TO NOUVEAU AND RADEON PROJECTS! DO NOT SELL THEM, UNLESS YOU DRASTICALLY NEED MONEY!

As easy as that!

Well, the only two nvidia parts I have around are a laptop with a 6100 and a desktop 7800 PCI-e card. Both of these are dropped, but really no longer in service. The desktop card was much more trivial to replace than the laptop, so it went out of service first, in favor of an AMD GPU. The 6100 laptop went out of service about a month ago when I bought a new laptop with... an AMD GPU, but LONG before that, I gave up entirely on the blob driver. Nouveau is a piece of shit, but better than the blob by several orders of magnitude.

Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    Feel free to ban me, don't care, I'm done with this forum
    You already said that once before. And yet you came back to continue with the crappy and annoying "f you nvidia" posts. Your words are meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    Please tell me, why should I respect that Nvidia developer if they don't respect Linux?
    Who cares? You're turning this forum into nothing more than a shitstain on the internet.