Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Workspace Support for Wayland's Weston

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,359

    Default Workspace Support for Wayland's Weston

    Phoronix: Workspace Support for Wayland's Weston

    Patches have emerged today that provide support for workspaces with Wayland's Weston compositor and default shell...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE3MTM

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Actually, these are enhancements to Weston's workspace support. Weston had multiple workspace supports for months
    But it was sort of hidden because the configuration option for the number of workspaces in the .ini file was kind of hidden as well as the key commands.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Workspace Support for Wayland's Weston

    Patches have emerged today that provide support for workspaces with Wayland's Weston compositor and default shell...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE3MTM
    Yay! As we move to the next gen display server we drag along outdated designs that compensate for window manager deficiencies.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liam View Post
    Yay! As we move to the next gen display server we drag along outdated designs that compensate for window manager deficiencies.
    What in your opinion is or would be a modern approach to this issue.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,006

    Default What features would you like to see in Weston?

    What features would you like to see in Weston?


    I would like to see WinKey/MetaKey+NumPad[0-9] for grid layout window positioning.

    Meta+NumPad4 = Move window to the left
    Meta+NumPad6 = Move window to the right
    Meta+NumPad3 = Move window to the bottom-right corner

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    What in your opinion is or would be a modern approach to this issue.
    Firefox's Panorama. Expose it via the Gnome Shell overview (or equivalent), lasso apps you want to group, and then name the groups. Everythings visible from the one screen without trying to remember which desktop has what app group (and realize plenty of people have their set desktops and keybindings so this isn't a problem for them).
    Implementation is similar to virtual desktops but is exposed completely differently.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liam View Post
    Firefox's Panorama. Expose it via the Gnome Shell overview (or equivalent), lasso apps you want to group, and then name the groups. Everythings visible from the one screen without trying to remember which desktop has what app group (and realize plenty of people have their set desktops and keybindings so this isn't a problem for them).
    Implementation is similar to virtual desktops but is exposed completely differently.
    Your approach has a fault that i find really annoying and its the fact that it involves more clicks/moves from doing something simple. And this is fundamentally wrong IMO. The user must perform the tast he wants as fast as possible and with minimum effort. In gnome 2 for example you could switch workplace with a single click.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    Your approach has a fault that i find really annoying and its the fact that it involves more clicks/moves from doing something simple. And this is fundamentally wrong IMO. The user must perform the tast he wants as fast as possible and with minimum effort. In gnome 2 for example you could switch workplace with a single click.

    I'm not sure what task takes longer. Could you be more specific?
    That aside, the advantage this possesses is visual simplicity and intuitiveness. In principle it shouldn't change things for long time users of workspaces except that the grouping can be made to happen automatically (basically on login resume previous activity groups, no scripts required). You should still be able to create keybindings to the various groups (but that may be tricky since they are dynamic, still that should be a goal since users do that and it is efficient). The only thing that I don't see happening is moving windows from workspace to workspace with only the keyboard. However that doesn't seem like a hardship since that is a pretty infrequent task. If it isn't, and you're doing it wrong

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •