Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 61

Thread: Ubuntu's Unity/Compiz Gets Even Slower

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ninez View Post
    GTK stands for 'Gimp Toolkit' - it was not originally developed by Gnome nor was it a Gnome Project - it was developed to replace Motif as Gimp's toolkit.

    lots of DEs/WMs use it and that doesn't make them gnome-powered, it makes them GTK+ powered. an example of a 'partly gnome-powered' DE - would be Unity or Elementary OS's DE or Cinnamon ~ those are examples of DEs that are powered by gnome, since they are all essentially gnome, just with different shells, modified/forked software and other slight (mostly superficial) modifications/alterations.
    I know that, BUT I would guess that many many commits for gtk come from gnome developers, so yes you can use it seperatly and gnome depends on gtk and not the other way around, but again I would guess that more people use gnome than gimp.

    So maybe I am wrong but I guess that more devs who work on gnome-components also send patches or directly work on gtk than any other projekt... but if someone knows more... so if that is true I think it would be valid to say that if lets say 99% of the people would use kde and and nobody would want any gnome stuff (incl. unity) and the gnome-projekt would not exist, gtk would maybe died or would be way more behind in progress than it is today.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackiwid View Post
    I know that, BUT I would guess that many many commits for gtk come from gnome developers, so yes you can use it seperatly and gnome depends on gtk and not the other way around, but again I would guess that more people use gnome than gimp.
    Again, a little bit iffy there. Gnome does have a large user base, but the Gimp does as well. I would not be so quick to call.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3

    Default Ubuntu's Unity/Compiz Gets Even Slower

    I appreciate the article but Ubuntu 12.10 just entered Beta a week ago?

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmSpillaz View Post
    The regional updates code is currently not active while we figure out how to make it work with changes in upstream compiz. This is why the slowness exists at the moment.
    Thanks. Do you expect to have this fixed in time for Quantal final? And where is upstream compiz located these days?

  5. #55

    Default

    I do not give ETAs on how long things will take. Needless to say, we are working on it, and some good ideas are being thrown around as to how to deal with it. That being

    1. Using glBlitBuffer instead of painting a texture backed framebuffer
    2. Ensuring the contents of vertex buffers are more static (improves video)
    3. Fullscreen window unredirection.

    Thats not a promise that any of this will land *this cycle* per-se, but it is a note that we are aware there was a performance hit when we merged the work to make compiz work on arm platforms and we're actively dealing with it.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmSpillaz View Post
    ...
    3. Fullscreen window unredirection.

    Thats not a promise that any of this will land *this cycle* per-se, but it is a note that we are aware there was a performance hit when we merged the work to make compiz work on arm platforms and we're actively dealing with it.
    Thanks Sam. I really appreciate your reply. Keep up the good work and drink lots of caffeine because we are waiting anxiously

    Am I correct in interpreting the compiz 0.9.8.2 release notes as saying that the fullscreen window unredirection problems are now mostly fixed? From the release notes:

    * Gamers rejoice! CCSM > Composite > "Unredirect Fullscreen Windows" now works more reliably, with a few bugs remaining. If you turn it on then fullscreen windows like games will get direct rendering access and won't be slowed by Compiz (or Unity) any more.

    They go on to mention the following bugs amongst the list of bugs fixed:

    980663 - Compiz won't start if "unredirect fullscreen windows" is enabled
    1041047 - Unredirect Fullscreen Windows stay on top (unredirected) even when they're not on top any more (or the output is transformed)
    1041066 - Unredirect Fullscreen Windows sometimes fails to unredirect fullscreen windows at all
    1046661 - Unredirect Fullscreen Windows stay on top (unredirected) even when an RGBA window is stacked above it

  7. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madbiologist View Post
    Thanks Sam. I really appreciate your reply. Keep up the good work and drink lots of caffeine because we are waiting anxiously

    Am I correct in interpreting the compiz 0.9.8.2 release notes as saying that the fullscreen window unredirection problems are now mostly fixed? From the release notes:

    * Gamers rejoice! CCSM > Composite > "Unredirect Fullscreen Windows" now works more reliably, with a few bugs remaining. If you turn it on then fullscreen windows like games will get direct rendering access and won't be slowed by Compiz (or Unity) any more.

    They go on to mention the following bugs amongst the list of bugs fixed:

    980663 - Compiz won't start if "unredirect fullscreen windows" is enabled
    1041047 - Unredirect Fullscreen Windows stay on top (unredirected) even when they're not on top any more (or the output is transformed)
    1041066 - Unredirect Fullscreen Windows sometimes fails to unredirect fullscreen windows at all
    1046661 - Unredirect Fullscreen Windows stay on top (unredirected) even when an RGBA window is stacked above it
    Yes, however it isn't guarunteed to work with unity at the moment (for some fairly nontrivial reasons).

  8. #58

    Default

    Oh I totally forgot to mention. Upstream compiz is developed on launchpad.

    lp:compiz

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    22

    Default Control Test

    What I'd really like to see is one of the things Martin suggested in his benchmarking article that should be easy for Michael to do in future benchmarks of compositors; include a control test. That is, include a test where there is no compositor / desktop environment running, just plain X server.

    Here's the quote from his site:

    "Now I think back of the hypothesis we have and I notice that while we have quite some data sets on the influence of desktop environments on the game rendering performance, one important data set is missing: the control. For the given hypothesis only one control can be thought of: running just an X-Server without any desktop environment and run the test there. This would be a very good control as it ensures that there is no overhead introduced by any desktop environment. "

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheldonl View Post
    What I'd really like to see is one of the things Martin suggested in his benchmarking article that should be easy for Michael to do in future benchmarks of compositors; include a control test. That is, include a test where there is no compositor / desktop environment running, just plain X server.

    Here's the quote from his site:

    "Now I think back of the hypothesis we have and I notice that while we have quite some data sets on the influence of desktop environments on the game rendering performance, one important data set is missing: the control. For the given hypothesis only one control can be thought of: running just an X-Server without any desktop environment and run the test there. This would be a very good control as it ensures that there is no overhead introduced by any desktop environment. "

    A number of us suggested that BMarks also be run without compositor (use xinit twm or something) or without a WM altogether (use xinit someBenchmark). Unfortunately, a number of the BMarks in PTS probably won't run without a WM. Does anyone have a moment to try Heaven or some other benchmark without a WM?

    F

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •