Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 97

Thread: AMD Catalyst For Linux On The "Blacklist Of Junk"

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nadro View Post
    Thats good that it's impossible to You not a learn, because in a GFX (mainly with AMD software/hardware) subject You really need a many more knowledge Brook+ maybe was a joke only for beginner programmers, this library wasn't bad, but what would You know about it, if You say these bulshits... Of course, HD4k have some restrictions in local memory (it isn't a generic read/write model, but just a owner's write model), but it doesn't change anything for Your stupid commend. As I said problems with OpenCL on HD4k wasn't AMD fault, because OpenCL specification didn't exist when RV770 was created...


    You are right in 50% If You don't know a 3D performance on AMD cards are the same for both Linux and Windows, so for games these cards are really good. Both AMD and NV are good choice for a linux gamers. I use AMD cards on Linux and what? I didn't back to Windows. Suprise?

    I see that talking with You is just a waste of my time, because Your arguments are just ridiculous...

    Your first paragraph its a joke. AMD tried to solve the OpenCL parallelism problem "myth" without shared cache, nothing to do with specifications. As for the second, try to play a last generation game with an AMD card like Tera_Online, or CSS_orange_box, doesn't play, even the OpenGL renderer of Portal2 In many areas gives 5fps for an HD4670. And on top of that many games will never play with HD4000 and lower, because AMD has drop support and farther evolution with Catalyst. The only possibility for those cards it's the Open_Source, and Intels work that drives everything fast.

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    102

    Default

    They tried do some workarounds because HD4k hardware wasn't designed for OCL (AMD needn't it for a GPGPU via ATI Stream)... OpenCL was released after RV770 thats why this card wasn't fully compatible with this API.
    nothing to do with specifications
    OMG... Are You serious? How can they design a hardware without an access to a final specification? (for ATI Stream their solution works great, why? because was designed for this API) Why NV 8k, 9k and 200 series cards was compatible with OCL? Because under the hood OCL was designed based on CUDA solutions in many places (NV have strong position in Khronos and CUDA was more popular than Stream) not on ATI Stream...

    The answer is simple. OpenGL codepath in these games are bugged if You have these strange results. For Portal 2 maybe a WINE (designed for NV hardware in many places) or settings are a problem. Sorry, but if 99% titles works good, You can't judge AMD based on 1% of products. I saw similar story with Heroes of Newerth. Users complained about AMD drivers, but they didn't know that a problem is bugged HoN code... We can find many more examples for bugged OpenGL code in apps, which doesn't work properly on AMD cards (AMD cards now allow to do more issues in OpenGL, but this is cause for maintain compatibility with these bugged products; situation is caused by stupid NV policy about failure to comply with an OGL specification) eg. GNOME Shell.

    For me discussion is over...
    Last edited by nadro; 09-12-2012 at 11:02 AM.

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    997

    Default

    I'm not sure what the above discussions are about but I was thinking of something. I have the impression that AMD (ATI) doesn't care about Linux, regardless of whether they offer open source drivers. So what? Modern day AMD video cards can be $200+ and if one is to read the experiences here, fglrx drivers are crap. At best, very problematic. So, here you have drivers they can administer (binary) from Windows but they don't invest enough to at least have them up to par. They're not even up to par of binary Nvidia drivers in Linux. There's no operation or integration with any other project (e.g. WINE) and apparently, the resources are lacking.

    So, one is expected to have a reduction in performance and limited features, using the open source driver for $200+ video cards. I think the FOSS drivers would be a great option but there should at least be an opportunity for optimizing their card performance and features if they want. I am puzzled why some people here buy $400 AMD cards if they use Linux. Why?

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    I am puzzled why some people here buy $400 AMD cards if they use Linux. Why?
    Because fglrx is not so bad as some people would want you to believe. Most of the complaints come from two fronts:

    1) Gnome-Shell has some graphical issues
    2) Some random WINE game doesn't run properly (although it does run with nvidia)

    These are fglrx specific, but then there's the more common "laptop doesn't suspend", "crash on program X", etc which are common to all graphics drivers.

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    I'm not sure what the above discussions are about but I was thinking of something.
    I personally think we've been invaded by aliens or something.

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ฿ 16LDJ6Hrd1oN3nCoFL7BypHSEYL84ca1JR
    Posts
    1,024

    Default

    So, another break from the open source driver, back to fglrx/catalyst.

    My Notebook with HD 6550M still won't wake up from suspend per default (I suspended 3 times and 3 times it didn't work). When booting with "nopat" it seems to work though.

    Now catalyst thinks that every time I start X I want underscan on the screen connected via HDMI. So everytime after connecting that screen or starting X I need to open amdcccle, go to Display Manager - DTV - Adjustments, then I need to slide the slider "Scaling Options" (left: 15% underscan, right: 0%) to the left because it is already at 0%, but the screen looks like it should look when the slider is in the middle and then slide back to the right to 0%.

    I see fglrx/catalyst like the flashplayer: They seem to want to break things all the time for no reason.

    flashplayer: fullscreen didn't work, then it did work, then hardware scaling was broken and everybody was forced to use software scaling with horrible cpu usage, then they got vdpau working, then they broke vdpau with switching the red/blue color palette and then in 11.3 they broke fullscreen AGAIN. AGAIN!!! https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?...bug&id=3288067

    catalyst: Do I even need to start? One release broke the HDMI output completely, then the whole debakle with 2d acceleration and black windows, "ASIC hang happened" ("ASIC hang happened" fglrx: About 23,400 results), suspend being broken for so many people, gnome 3 rendering took forever, still 3d rendering often forced to the foreground, xrandr support where the virtual screen is not big enough for two screens in most cases and you need to RESTART X to connect a screen as long as you don't put "Virtual 4096 4096" or so in your X config, ..., ...

    Does AMD even want to make a product that doesn't have obvious flaws?

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    I am puzzled why some people here buy $400 AMD cards if they use Linux. Why?
    I say the same thing about people that use Linux and buy Nvidia.

    Nvidia is a enemy of open standards and open source, hence why we have the famous quote by Linus Torvalds "Nvidia Fuck You"

    If you use Linux and buy Nvida hardware you're getting fucked by Nvidia. And not in a good way.

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXY View Post
    Now catalyst thinks that every time I start X I want underscan on the screen connected via HDMI. So everytime after connecting that screen or starting X I need to open amdcccle, go to Display Manager - DTV - Adjustments, then I need to slide the slider "Scaling Options" (left: 15% underscan, right: 0%) to the left because it is already at 0%, but the screen looks like it should look when the slider is in the middle and then slide back to the right to 0%.
    Have you tried this command?
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0
    Sceptic

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rallos Zek View Post
    I say the same thing about people that use Linux and buy Nvidia.

    Nvidia is a enemy of open standards and open source, hence why we have the famous quote by Linus Torvalds "Nvidia Fuck You"

    If you use Linux and buy Nvida hardware you're getting fucked by Nvidia. And not in a good way.


    And your disagreement is irrelevant. When you pay for a separate GPU without having games in mind, you are getting fucked by your self for sure. GPUs are not for desktop effects, nor for video acceleration. Only Nvidia works for Linux regardless of your opinion, there is not an alternative. Its not minor games that wont work for others, its half of the games with some sort of a problem and many are unplayable. If you not a gamer then an integrated open source Intel-HD is a good thing. Amd is not in the picture. Doesn't play many first rate games, doesn't accelerate anything, doesn't work for you with open drivers. Some of you with your ignorance, you continue disappoint Linux newbies and they gone.

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rallos Zek View Post
    If you use Linux and buy Nvida hardware you're getting fucked by Nvidia. And not in a good way.
    I do not feel very fucked by nvidia when the desktop I do development on, as well as run a bunch of servers, as well as play a lot of native games and windows games through wine, not to mention always trying to tweak non-working windows games to work under wine, has an uptime of six months straight when running an nvidia card & blob (interrupted finally by a power outtage).

    To me open source and linux are about choices. nvidia chooses not to open their drivers. I'm ok with that, since they are of a high quality. nvidia does not actively conspire against open source (that I'm aware of).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •