Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 Tries For Last Minute GRUB 2.00

Default Ubuntu 12.10 Tries For Last Minute GRUB 2.00

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.10 Tries For Last Minute GRUB 2.00

Developers working on Ubuntu 12.10 are now past feature-freeze and the beta has already shipped, but they are hoping to pull in the official release of the GRUB 2.00 boot-loader prior to the October debut of the Quantal Quetzal...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE4MjA

Grub 2.00 is much better than 1.99 - i really miss that it is not even in Debian experimental. Very interesting however that it would appear in Ubuntu first...

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Grub 2.00 is much better than 1.99 - i really miss that it is not even in Debian experimental. Very interesting however that it would appear in Ubuntu first...
    Didn't they have trouble with the license and Secure Boot or something like that??

It's in Debian Sid. But ya it is better and I'm surprised Ubuntu didn't adopt it years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    It's in Debian Sid. But ya it is better and I'm surprised Ubuntu didn't adopt it years ago.
    Grub2 != GRUB2 2.0

None of those is a 2.00 build. They're all various 1.99s.

This does seem pretty late, for Ubuntu. They're carrying a ton of patches against 1.99 which don't apply easily against 2.00. It'll be interesting to see if they can get that all sorted out in time without losing any functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
    None of those is a 2.00 build. They're all various 1.99s.
    He was pointing that out to schmidtbag.

So this will fix the large disks issue, but the hot issue of the day is secure boot. The boot loader will still be playing catch up for a while

Common for Ubuntu is usually to backport software versions to work with older dependencies... I used grub2 for over a year without problems so far on other distributions.