Thread: NVIDIA Performance: Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu Linux 12.10

Hybrid View

Default NVIDIA Performance: Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu Linux 12.10

Phoronix: NVIDIA Performance: Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu Linux 12.10

With a largely shared driver code-base across platforms, the binary graphics drivers offered by AMD and NVIDIA perform at roughly the same speed for OpenGL between Linux and Windows; that's traditionally been the case and what Phoronix benchmarks in prior years have shown for NVIDIA and AMD. However, the OpenGL performance difference between operating systems is beginning to widen due to compositing window managers and other factors now affecting the results to a greater extent. In this article are benchmarks of the proprietary NVIDIA graphics driver from Microsoft Windows 7 and then development snapshots of Ubuntu 12.10 with Unity and KDE desktops.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17869

Winner ... Kubuntu .... YEAY that's what I'm using... and it's the best.

Never going back to that stinking Microsoft garbage.

Way to go Unity!

Hope Canonical manages to pick up the slack a bit before release, Ubuntu's the obvious loser of this race (as is). Awesome seeing KDE do so well compared to Win7. I use, and love, Gnome-Shell (Arch Linux), but I've heard (and seen) good things about Linux Mint/Cinnamon. With Ubuntu's stats behind, I think Mint is the OS I'll recommend to people from now on.

You'd have to conclude that Microsoft is held back due to DRM/Bus. Even as a user front end, Users are constantly waiting for dialogue boxes to pop up and applications to run or patches to check before installing, due to DRM firewalling on the operating system and its interaction with the bus. It's a nightmare to use Windows. JUST SO SLOW and AWFUL.

Then you have the moral angle due to Bill Gate and his eugenics works and Windows being a platform to spy on Users.

Where the frack is Doom3 test?