Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
C# and Mono are better supported on mobile - Mono for Android, MonoTouch, and WP7 cover more than 90% of the US smartphone OS market. Comparatively, Qt is in "experimental pre-alpha" stage for iOS and Android and not an option for WP7.
A) Noone cares about WP7/WP8.
B) C# is hardly, hardly "supported" compared to C/C++ on Android, and while Qt is experimental, it works, and its native bindings exist on C. No reason, whatsoever to use C# for Android development over C (NDK) or Java.

Support for Windows and Mac is comparable across both. Support for Linux on major architectures is equivalent across both.
Absolutely not! You can't seriously be claiming that C# and Mono provide a better multiplatform development environment than straight C, can you?

Qt is about twice the age of Mono - 1992 versus 2002.

As for proven, again, mobile has pointed towards Mono rather than Qt.
Still, (Android) NDK development (C/C++) far outnumbers hacky C# ports accomplished with Mono, which by the way is the primary use of it on mobile (you could argue that the developers have bigger problems at that point). Developers still have a better multiplatform development environment with, /you guessed it/ straight C, and good practices.

On the desktop Qt is far more popular, due in no small part to KDE and to the mature tools for Windows use.

There's really very little in it between Qt and Mono for most resources. Qt may be faster for CPU usage, but that's not really something one encounters in user-interactive applications.
Decently compiled C/Qt is always going to be faster. /Always./ Again, what do you gain from Mono for the performance sacrifice?

They're useful for different scenarios. Mono doesn't replace C++. And interop between the two is of major importance to users.
Not really, they just want their applications to work, be relatively bug free and speedy.

As for the Linux desktop, VERY ANGRY NERDS TYPING IN BOLD AND CAPS have been very effective at scaring users away from Mono, and keeping developers on Windows.
I think you misspoke, here's my correction:
As for the Linux desktop, the VERY ANGRY STEVE BALLMER & FRIENDS has been very effective at scaring users away from Mono, and keeping developers on Windows.
In no small part due to their previous treachery. When are you going to get it through their head that they deserve the bad rep with developers that THEY HAVE deliberately created?

There are lots of legitimate reasons to choose Mono/C# over C++ and Qt.
There is none! You think that all developers on Linux are the [wannabe] programmers coming from Windows / .NET land in search of something that helps them reuse code. No. In Linux/Unix land, non-proprietary is king, and if you want code reuse, follow best practices. This reality is too harsh for the noob .NET developer, whose general lack of expertise keeps their paygrade at the bottom of all programmers.

But because they're not the uses you care about, you project into all cases and say and say "never". This is silly.
No, quite the reverse. Noone that targets Linux/Unix using Python, Java, PHP, C/C++, hell even Perl is EVER going to care about Mono. EVER. And noone developing on .NET targets anything but Windows, if they do it is at best an afterthought and they're bound to be disappointed in Mono.

There are times Qt with C++ is the right choice, times with Mono with C# is the right choice, and times when some combination thereof is the right choice.
Seeing as I can target [all desktop platforms] and [alot of mobile] with Qt, I don't really see it, and I doubt I'm alone.

Keep pushing the koolaid, noone is going to drink it, and you know why. If you want people on Linux developing in C#, get Microsoft uninvolved in the development of the spec. That will fix plenty of BOTH political and technical issues it faces.