Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fedora 18 Alpha "Spherical Cow" Released

Default Fedora 18 Alpha "Spherical Cow" Released

Phoronix: Fedora 18 "Spherical Cow" Released

Fedora 18, which is codenamed the "Spherical Cow", was officially released today...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE4NzU

The title is misleading without mentioning "Alpha".

Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    The title is misleading without mentioning "Alpha".
    Big mishap on my part for sleeping about 8~9 hours in three days... Corrected now just in time for me to go to sleep. Sorry about that title.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Big mishap on my part for sleeping about 8~9 hours in three days... Corrected now just in time for me to go to sleep. Sorry about that title.
    Needless to say sleeping so little is almost as bad for your health as doing drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    Needless to say sleeping so little is almost as bad for your health as doing drugs.
    some drugs in small quantities can be good for your health

anyway DONT DOWNLOAD SPINS, at least not the xfce one and at least not for a couple weeks(then upgrade yum and anaconda before install, i think just yum is needed but to be sure)

Quote Originally Posted by gens View Post
    DONT DOWNLOAD SPINS, at least not the xfce one and at least not for a couple weeks(then upgrade yum and anaconda before install, i think just yum is needed but to be sure)
    actualy, scratch that, the gnome3 version has the bug too

its because of this http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Featur...kPackageGroups
    itl be working soon, probably after including yum-3.4.3-45 , probably
    (dont forget to upgrade yum before starting the install, also anaconda --text is better at this point)

Quote Originally Posted by gens View Post
    actualy, scratch that, the gnome3 version has the bug too

its because of this http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Featur...kPackageGroups
    itl be working soon, probably after including yum-3.4.3-45 , probably
    (dont forget to upgrade yum before starting the install, also anaconda --text is better at this point)
    Thanks for the warning Gens, cuz I downloaded the KDE spin earlier tonight and was (literally) about to press "reboot" on my testing machine to install it haha

Might download this just to have a quick test run of gnome 3.6

gens: why the big hairy warning about the spins? There's nothing particularly wrong with them that I'm aware of, aside from the rest of what's wrong with Alpha. They all got basic testing. I wouldn't in general recommend using 18 Alpha in production, but there's nothing worse about the spins than any other build afaik...

michael: you need to correct a line in the story itself as well. It still says "Fedora 18, which is codenamed the "Spherical Cow", was officially released today. ".

yes well i corrected myself after trying the main build too

im sure the system works good, its rare to see bigger bugs in the core(and all around older projects) these days

problem is with the installer in that i cant install with anaconda without editing the python script witch is huge
    also when the install script fails im left with 3 new partitions of witch 2 are useless and i have to exterminate them if i dont wanna end up with 4 useless partitions on the next install

i thought its only in the spins as "spin-kickstarts is updated for any new group names" is not marked DONE

all in all i like fedora for its stability on the bleeding edge and recommend it to people (xfce spin ofc)

any alternative way to install that dosent involve kickstart files or for that matter anaconda at all ? (yes i know the bug is in yum, or kickstart file whatever that is)