Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: AMD Bulldozer Performance On Ubuntu 12.10

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,601

    Default AMD Bulldozer Performance On Ubuntu 12.10

    Phoronix: AMD Bulldozer Performance On Ubuntu 12.10

    For those having computers with AMD FX "Bulldozer" processors, here are some benchmarks showing some of the performance improvements made -- and regressions -- in upstream GCC and the Linux kernel that can be found when upgrading to the forthcoming Ubuntu 12.10.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17901

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,023

    Default Useless benchmark

    It is a useless benchmark because the CPU isn't compared against any other CPU.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    It is a useless benchmark because the CPU isn't compared against any other CPU.
    That was not the premise of the article.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    24

    Default Test with another CPU

    I have a AMD bulldoser processor and I can say it sucks badly long term. It starts off really fast, but once you leave your system on for a hour or so it gets so slow that even logging out takes close to a minute.

    Anyways, could you do a comparison test between the 8150 and the I7 2600k/ivy bridge? I want to see the increase in performance before upgrading to a intel machine.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ruinairas View Post
    I have a AMD bulldoser processor and I can say it sucks badly long term. It starts off really fast, but once you leave your system on for a hour or so it gets so slow that even logging out takes close to a minute.
    That sounds really weird. Sure it's caused by the CPU and not by swapping maybe?
    Also ever tried gentoo linux (everything compiled with march=native) ? This would be some benchmark I would like: Ubuntu vs Gentoo on AMD Bulldozer (and AMD Phenom II as reference).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ruinairas View Post
    I have a AMD bulldoser processor and I can say it sucks badly long term. It starts off really fast, but once you leave your system on for a hour or so it gets so slow that even logging out takes close to a minute.

    Anyways, could you do a comparison test between the 8150 and the I7 2600k/ivy bridge? I want to see the increase in performance before upgrading to a intel machine.
    Sounds like a memory issue to me too. I would tend to say its a memory leak somewhere.

    Try this: switch to tty1. Login. Launch htop, note memory and swap usage and go away. When you return, check memory and swap usage.
    Also check for HDD activity. Perhaps cirtain components were removed from memory as not needed anymore, due to not being adressed. If you claim its CPU, the memory load should be same and hdd should not be accessed intensively while you login back.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    356

    Default

    As a Bulldozer owner, this sucks. I know a lot of attention is given to Intel processors, but AMD could use its fair share of attention.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    24

    Default Testing

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Sounds like a memory issue to me too. I would tend to say its a memory leak somewhere.

    Try this: switch to tty1. Login. Launch htop, note memory and swap usage and go away. When you return, check memory and swap usage.
    Also check for HDD activity. Perhaps cirtain components were removed from memory as not needed anymore, due to not being adressed. If you claim its CPU, the memory load should be same and hdd should not be accessed intensively while you login back.
    Okay, I'll do that now.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ruinairas View Post
    I have a AMD bulldoser processor and I can say it sucks badly long term. It starts off really fast, but once you leave your system on for a hour or so it gets so slow that even logging out takes close to a minute.
    I have a FX8150 and I can not confirm that. It takes me ~5secs to either log in or log out. Having Chrome open slows it down by another ~ 5secs (Kubuntu 12.04 64).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    It is a useless benchmark because the CPU isn't compared against any other CPU.
    Oh, it's very useful in shutting up all those that claimed bulldozer only sucked because "software isn't optimized yet".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •