Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Intel Linux OpenGL Driver Remains Slower Than Windows

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,344

    Default Intel Linux OpenGL Driver Remains Slower Than Windows

    Phoronix: Intel Linux OpenGL Driver Remains Slower Than Windows

    Recently there was the NVIDIA graphics comparison under Windows 7 and Linux providing new data at how the cross-platform NVIDIA driver is comparing between Ubuntu 12.10, Kubuntu 12.10, and Windows 7 Pro. Aside from Ubuntu's Unity desktop with Compiz impairing the performance, the results were competitive. Next up now is a look at Intel Sandy Bridge and Intel Ivy Bridge graphics when comparing the performance of the three operating systems.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17920

  2. #2

    Default

    The nexuiz result is quite surprising. Are you using S3TC with mesa driver?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    27

    Default You should upgrade the test

    For Unigine Heaven there is just the Windows 7 numbers since the Intel Linux support for this more demanding game engine isn't in great shape on Mesa.
    I'm running UH3.0 without significant problems on 9.0 branch (last week) and mesa master. Yes, I need to run on medium shaders and no tesselation because of missing features, but it's far from unusable.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,607

    Default

    Nice to hear, however it is not really surprising that linux is often slower than win - the driver does not share code between the os. That's differnt to fglrx/nvidia binary drivers.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orome View Post
    I'm running UH3.0 without significant problems on 9.0 branch (last week) and mesa master. Yes, I need to run on medium shaders and no tesselation because of missing features, but it's far from unusable.
    I'm also curious what the issue is. I run Unigine Heaven rather frequently and it works for me. Note that you need to install the drirc that comes with Mesa: cp src/mesa/drivers/dri/common/drirc /etc/drirc # or ~/.drirc. (The intent is that distributions should do this for you...) This tells Mesa to work around a number of bugs in the Unigine demos: their use of extensions without asking for them, and their broken use of the GL_ARB_blend_func_extended extension. Without it, I believe you get cloudy grey rendering.

    There were a few Mesa bugs relating to Heaven as well, but those should have already been fixed in the version that Michael tested.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI, USA
    Posts
    862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enrico.tagliavini View Post
    The nexuiz result is quite surprising. Are you using S3TC with mesa driver?
    From http://openbenchmarking.org/system/1...012.10/glxinfo
    OpenGL extensions:
    <snip>
    GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine,

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    20

    Question Composit

    Windows 7 : is Aero On?
    Kubuntu: kwin?
    Last edited by bofh80; 09-25-2012 at 11:54 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default

    The latest Windows driver for Intel is 15.​28.​0.​2792. Is there any reason You are not using this one?

  9. #9

    Default

    I really wish they would work more on performance than features for Ubuntu.

    Liam of www.gamingonlinux.com and www.linux4today.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kayden View Post
    This tells Mesa to work around a number of bugs in the Unigine demos: their use of extensions without asking for them, and their broken use of the GL_ARB_blend_func_extended extension. Without it, I believe you get cloudy grey rendering.

    There were a few Mesa bugs relating to Heaven as well, but those should have already been fixed in the version that Michael tested.
    Didn't they fix the bugs in Heaven? Or only some?

    Certainly app workarounds in the gl lib are just wrong.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •