Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 88

Thread: Valve's Steam Linux Beta Begins Next Week

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,615

    Default Valve's Steam Linux Beta Begins Next Week

    Phoronix: Valve's Steam Linux Beta Begins Next Week

    Valve's Steam Linux beta is finally arriving...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE5MzI

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    351

    Default

    people are gonna scream FUD but i'm just salivating at the prospect of the bug reports on the POS platform that's ubuntu. this is because ubuntu is much buggier than osx and steam on the mac is already glitchy. ubuntu's six month release cycle is a joke. it's basically half-broken apps on a crappy video stack running on a monolithic kernel.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    49

    Thumbs down

    Hope the invitation to the 'external beta' to used by proper Linux Users/Lovers.
    It should not end up as Steam Trading commodity.

    I have seen people selling - "Steam BETA Community invitation", "Steam Mobile App invitation" etc.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garegin View Post
    people are gonna scream FUD but i'm just salivating at the prospect of the bug reports on the POS platform that's ubuntu. this is because ubuntu is much buggier than osx and steam on the mac is already glitchy. ubuntu's six month release cycle is a joke. it's basically half-broken apps on a crappy video stack running on a monolithic kernel.
    But there's a new Shopping Lens in Ubuntu 12.10!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Awesome, hopefully not too long until Arch gets it, either hacked by Arch or official from Valve. Shouldn't be too difficult... systemd entry would be nice and hopefully Valve doesn't do anything stupid like requiring specific linking to outdated Ubuntu dependencies.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    352

    Default

    They should put that WINE version tracking to use

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Whoooo~~
    Happy days are here at last!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vash63 View Post
    Awesome, hopefully not too long until Arch gets it, either hacked by Arch or official from Valve. Shouldn't be too difficult... systemd entry would be nice and hopefully Valve doesn't do anything stupid like requiring specific linking to outdated Ubuntu dependencies.
    I'm an Arch User and have been added to their Beta List very early. I'll report how things are going on Phoronix and over at the Arch Linux Forums.
    My test system is Core i7 2600K with GeForce GTX 580 so it should be ideal in terms of supported hardware.

    Ohh happy day!!!! Oh happy day!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    297

    Default

    I guess those 1000 have already been informed, so the question is, open beta?

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    I'm an Arch User and have been added to their Beta List very early. I'll report how things are going on Phoronix and over at the Arch Linux Forums.
    My test system is Core i7 2600K with GeForce GTX 580 so it should be ideal in terms of supported hardware.

    Ohh happy day!!!! Oh happy day!
    You might want to read the T&C first. There could well be an NDA of some description.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •