Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FFmpeg Reaches Version 1.0

Default FFmpeg Reaches Version 1.0

Phoronix: FFmpeg Reaches Version 1.0

While we have been looking towards an FFmpeg 1.0 release for nearly one year, the version 1.0 release of the popular FFmpeg library was finally tagged after being in development for more than one decade...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE5NDM

The question should be who still uses ffmpeg? Maybe the win builds of vlc or the integrated ffmpeg in xbmc, but most others use libav.

Default Is ffmpeg being dropped for future release:

ffmpeg is install by its name. But on terminal level, this message is displayed: ffmpeg version 0.8.3-6:0.8.3-4, Copyright (c) 2000-2012 the Libav developers
    built on Jun 26 2012 09:26:41 with gcc 4.7.1
    *** THIS PROGRAM IS DEPRECATED ***
    This program is only provided for compatibility and will be removed in a future release. Please use avconv instead.
    Hyper fast Audio and Video encoder
    usage: ffmpeg [options] [[infile options] -i infile]... {[outfile options] outfile}...

Use -h to get full help or, even better, run 'man ffmpeg'

so is ffmpeg going to be dropped?

Although I think the fork was a good thing, I still use FFmpeg on Gentoo because I haven't had any compelling reason to switch yet.

I hadn't heard about libfdk-aac before. That's great news. My entire collection is ripped with crappy old FAAC. I always thought it sounded okay though so I'm not about to re-encode it all, especially since it took so long the first time. It's just nice to have something better now. It looks like it still doesn't support surround greater than 5.1 but I'm happy using Ogg Vorbis for that instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    The question should be who still uses ffmpeg? Maybe the win builds of vlc or the integrated ffmpeg in xbmc, but most others use libav.
    I seriously doubt that. Here is a blog post about the subject

http://blog.pkh.me/p/13-the-ffmpeg-libav-situation.html

I tried libav some months ago on Gentoo but was still running into a lot of problems since some apps absolutely seemed to depend on ffmpeg but I couldn't have both on my system.

The ffmpeg package in Debian (and therefore Ubuntu) is actually a concealed libav library, because the package maintainer took libav's side during the feud. None of the other major distributions made libav default, the "program is deprecated" message is just a childish FUD from the libav devs.

Awesome, this is quite impeccable timing! I was just wondering about when they are going to release a new version. Didn't expect it to be a 1.0, though. Once this gets published and picked up by Packman developers, I will be able to get rid of a custom-compiled version of it I have sitting in my /opt, as there is one critical performance fix in later commits that allows for recording PulseAudio and video streams at the same time without dropping frames. Good job, FFmpeg devs!

It was an interesting read there, Teho. It looks like libav developers hit the same problem that they tried to avoid in the first place... But at least the competition allows for the betterment of FFmpeg. They should become more separate indeed, to have more than just a name and attitude difference.

Oxelon Media Converter on Windows uses ffmpeg. It used to be a great media converter, but it now crashes everytime. Oh well.
    I'm glad to see this and gstreamer having stable releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Google uses ffmpeg. It's shipped with Chrome afaik.