Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Unity 6.6: Still Regressing On Performance?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,429

    Default Unity 6.6: Still Regressing On Performance?

    Phoronix: Unity 6.6: Still Regressing On Performance?

    With the recent release of the Unity 6.6 desktop for Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2, benchmarks were done to see how the OpenGL gaming performance compares to that of Unity 6.4 from the earlier beta state of the Quantal Quetzal, plus the respective Compiz versions. At least for Intel Ivy Bridge graphics under some workloads, it looks like the Unity/Compiz updates are slowing down the GL performance even further.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17932

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    114

    Default

    The problem is the most visible for Intel cards, because these cards aren't too powerfull. AMD and/or NV owners shouldn't see too much differences (especially when use binary drivers). Of course I don't say that Unity doesn't require improvements in performance, but currently this is the mainly problem for Intel owners.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Why Valve, why did you have to choose a company who makes such terrible decisions.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoTuLoX View Post
    Why Valve, why did you have to choose a company who makes such terrible decisions.
    this is ignoring the root of the problem. the six month release cycle is a joke. it doesn't give time for the distro maker to do regression testing. the result is a broken operating system. canonical is no the the only one. Linux Mint 13 feels like a stroke victim and opensuse (even though it took them 10 months to make) is also suffering from graphical glitches and the package management is awfully broken.
    i wouldn't hold my breath until wayland is stable and every major app is ported over, instead of using xwayland.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    69

    Default You forgot about compiz

    These days unity and compiz are like a horse and carriage. The last version of compiz has a regression when it comes to performance. There is a fix but it has not made it to the final repos yet.

    The 6 month release cycle is just fine as long as people understand that stable means LTS and the others are just snapshots in the dev cycle that people could (and I mean could) use as a passable OS with various degrees of success. I like 10.04 and used it for a few years but on a separate HDD I always had one distro or another to check up on things and report bugs.
    Last edited by who_me; 09-29-2012 at 01:04 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by who_me View Post
    These days unity and compiz are like a horse and carriage. The last version of compiz has a regression when it comes to performance. There is a fix but it has not made it to the final repos yet.

    The 6 month release cycle is just fine as long as people understand that stable means LTS and the others are just snapshots in the dev cycle that people could (and I mean could) use as a passable OS with various degrees of success. I like 10.04 and used it for a few years but on a separate HDD I always had one distro or another to check up on things and report bugs.
    I'm running 12.04 which is an LTS and it's pretty much unusable in many ways. Just load up XBMC and you'll get a nice slideshow.

    I've been hearing "fixes are coming in the next version" for six months now and I haven't seen much improvement yet TBH.

    It's kind of embarrassing because Linux was supposed to be the lean and efficient version of an OS. Well I guess that was true under GNOME2 but I don't know what the hell is going on these days; it's a huge mess and I wouldn't advise any newcomers to dip their toes into this pool.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoTuLoX View Post
    Why Valve, why did you have to choose a company who makes such terrible decisions.
    [++]!

    Valve could hire Kano and create their own stripped down reference distribution.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    [++]!

    Valve could hire Kano and create their own stripped down reference distribution.
    What amazes me is that they didn't do such a thing.

    Hell, they could even start from the VERY scratch with LFS and use STEAM as a package manager! THAT WOULD BE HILARIOUS.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoTuLoX View Post
    What amazes me is that they didn't do such a thing.

    Hell, they could even start from the VERY scratch with LFS and use STEAM as a package manager! THAT WOULD BE HILARIOUS.
    They could certainly roll their own distro but they really wouldn't need to since X is rather versatile. They could of course just have their own desktop login session (like XBMC) and then the user could just do a switch session. Or better yet just launch Steam on a separate X server.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nadro View Post
    The problem is the most visible for Intel cards, because these cards aren't too powerfull. AMD and/or NV owners shouldn't see too much differences (especially when use binary drivers). Of course I don't say that Unity doesn't require improvements in performance, but currently this is the mainly problem for Intel owners.
    Well, intel users don't game often so I don't think this has a heavy impact on them either.

    To me, desktop effects are nice to have if you either have a crappy GPU that you don't intend to game with, or, if you have some ridiculously powerful GPU that so far nothing on Linux can take advantage of, so the performance drop from something like unity has no impact.

    Everyone who has a mid range system and relies on the gpu for things like modeling or gaming are the ones who are most affected.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •