Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Perf Sees Big Changes With Linux 3.7 Kernel

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,604

    Default Perf Sees Big Changes With Linux 3.7 Kernel

    Phoronix: Perf Sees Big Changes With Linux 3.7 Kernel

    The perf performance counters sub-system and utility are seeing some mighty improvements with the Linux 3.7 kernel...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE5Njg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Well, here arrives kernel 3.7, and Debian Testing is still on 3.2.0.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
    Well, here arrives kernel 3.7, and Debian Testing is still on 3.2.0.
    Yep, pretty annoying. When I have the time and access to faster Internet ill probably go back to Arch. If you use experimental you can get the 3.5 kernel but you're still stuck with a bunch of other packages that are out of date.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Yep, pretty annoying. When I have the time and access to faster Internet ill probably go back to Arch. If you use experimental you can get the 3.5 kernel but you're still stuck with a bunch of other packages that are out of date.
    Debian never really did work as a rolling release. Testing got frozen, Sid was STILL out of date, and experimental was like playing with a loaded handgun as a kid AND was out of date. Arch works as the best rolling release if you really do want the latest and greatest. Gentoo's nice but their "current" / "stable" line is always a bit behind Arch-- perfectly fine for a rolling release but if you want the latest and greatest you run Gentoo-git or just plain old Arch lol

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    821

    Default

    Debian Sid is typically only outdated during freeze, and from that Aptosid has managed to make a rolling release distribution that works quite well. The good thing about Experimental is that you can mix it with Sid as you like. The reason why Debian's testing kernel is 3.2 is because that is a long-term supported kernel, which the Wheezy release has to support for the next 2+ years.

    I guess Arch is ok if you can live with the reduced number of packages compared to Debian. Gentoo has not only stable and git (if by "git" you mean live ebuilds).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,613

    Default

    Its not really hard to compile a kernel for debian. If you use my kernel-wedge package you can use ubuntu packageing like you get from ubuntu mainline. if packageing does not really interest you just fetch the kernel you want to build and run

    http://kanotix.com/files/fix/compile-kernel-full.sh

    If you use ubuntu packageing and kernel-wedge from ubuntu or kanotix:

    http://kanotix.com/files/fix/compile-ubuntu-kernel.sh

    Most likely when your current kernel is 3.2 and you build then 3.6 you have to press lots of time enter with the first script. If you like a custom name change the Makefile. A current i7-3770s together with an ssd needs around 10 min to compile a kernel, so whats the huge problem?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chithanh View Post
    Aptosid has managed to make a rolling release distribution that works quite well.
    I just search for that. Thanks.


    But no GNOME in default installation

    We now have the pleasure to announce the immediate availability of the final aptosid 2011-03 "Πόνος" release, shipping in the following flavours:

    KDE-lite, amd64, en/ de, ≈590 MB.
    KDE-lite, i686, en/ de, ≈590 MB.
    KDE-full, amd64+i686, en/ de (cz, da, es, fr, it, ja, nl, pl, pt, pt_BR, ro, ru, uk through liveapt) ≈2.0 GB.
    XFCE, amd64, en/ de, ≈495 MB.
    XFCE, i686, en/ de, ≈490 MB.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chithanh View Post
    Debian Sid is typically only outdated during freeze, and from that Aptosid has managed to make a rolling release distribution that works quite well. The good thing about Experimental is that you can mix it with Sid as you like. The reason why Debian's testing kernel is 3.2 is because that is a long-term supported kernel, which the Wheezy release has to support for the next 2+ years.

    I guess Arch is ok if you can live with the reduced number of packages compared to Debian. Gentoo has not only stable and git (if by "git" you mean live ebuilds).
    Arch has a LOT of packages in aur, it is impressive...
    Frankly I barely every not find anything I am looking for there...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •