Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 75

Thread: AMD A10-5800K "Trinity" APU On Linux

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ansla View Post
    To everyone saying crossfire would be useless for this APU, are you aware of the "Hybrid Crossfire" feature? It would be nice to know if it works on Linux and what performance would be like when pairing this APU with a Radeon HD 6670.
    I only objected to the request to pair a puny CPU with a crossfire setup. Sure you could find a handful of games that don't use the CPU, but are shader intensive, however this doesn't seem relevant in any way.
    I don't know about AMD, but even a 680GTX will idle at under 20W, so if I needed more than an embedded GPU, I'd still go for an intel CPU and a dedicated GPU. You don't earn much by shutting off the dedicated GPU and switching to the on-chip one.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    287

    Default

    Can you show me the game (or any other graphics intensive application) that is CPU bound on this APU? All the games benchmarked by Michael in this article performed better with the more powerfull dedicated GPUs then with the built-in GPU, so they are all clearly GPU bound. And "World of Padman" is deffinatly not a very "shader intensive" game and still went from 221 FPS with the onboard GPU to 350 FPS with the GTX 550 while using the same CPU.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ansla View Post
    Can you show me the game (or any other graphics intensive application) that is CPU bound on this APU? All the games benchmarked by Michael in this article performed better with the more powerfull dedicated GPUs then with the built-in GPU, so they are all clearly GPU bound. And "World of Padman" is deffinatly not a very "shader intensive" game and still went from 221 FPS with the onboard GPU to 350 FPS with the GTX 550 while using the same CPU.
    Look here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6347/a...sktop-part-2/6
    All games perform better with a more powerful CPU; all using the same GPU.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default A10-5800K is on Par with i5-3470 With discreet graphics

    check out this review it is even on par with the IB i5

    http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-trin...nce/17272.html

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    287

    Default

    Thanks for reminding everyone there are worse benchmarks then those performed by Michael. Compairing the performance of a high-end GPU at 1024x720 low quality is pure genius. Not to mention they don't even mention what GPU they used.

    Anyway, my point was not that there are no faster CPUs out there. I am also aware there are GPUs out there that are fast enough to be starved by the performance of this CPU (or just about any CPU actualy).

    My point was that for example the E-450 APU in my laptop is completely CPU bound, switching graphics from low quality to high sometimes actualy improves the frame rate as more stuff gets offloaded to the GPU. However, this APU (and probably all A series APUs), even though they are slower then most Intel CPUs, are still fast enough and can actualy benefit from a more powerful GPU.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bug77 View Post
    Look here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6347/a...sktop-part-2/6
    All games perform better with a more powerful CPU; all using the same GPU.
    You're not actually making a strong argument when you're talking about all of the tests using a 5870 instead of the onboard GPU. Sure, if you have a 5870 and are played at interesting resolutions, the 5870 is going to be under utilised. We're not talking about that though, we're talking about how much additional room the CPU or the GPU will have on the APU under normal conditions.

    Stick metro on at native monitor res with a HD7670 in both systems, and then show me the diifference and I'll accept your point. Better yet, allow the APU to use crossfire and if the Intel still wins then you've won the argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ansla
    Not to mention they don't even mention what GPU they used.
    They do actually, its just on a totally different page which I guess is good for extra clicks and misleading people who were linked directly to the page.

    Either way though, the fact that bug77 linked that suggests he doesn't actually know what he's talking about, so arguing with him is pointless. I'm out.
    Last edited by ownagefool; 10-03-2012 at 10:54 AM.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ansla View Post
    ...switching graphics from low quality to high sometimes actualy improves the frame rate as more stuff gets offloaded to the GPU...
    Mwahahahahahaha!!!
    I apologize. I thought you knew what you were talking about.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ownagefool View Post
    You're not actually making a strong argument when you're talking about all of the tests using a 5870 instead of the onboard GPU.
    He said nowadays, no game is CPU bound. I prove him wrong. Now, if you want to talk about something else, you're welcome to do it.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bug77 View Post
    He said nowadays, no game is CPU bound.
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough, when I said "Can you show me the game (or any other graphics intensive application) that is CPU bound on this APU?" I meant when using the APU's GPU. And it should have been obvious, when deciding if upgrading the GPU is worth it or not you need to know what the bottleneck is in the current situation, not any other.

    Quote Originally Posted by bug77 View Post
    I prove him wrong.
    Of course if you'll use a high-end card at a low resolution with low graphics quality any game will be CPU bound, even on an i7. You proved nothing.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bug77 View Post
    He said nowadays, no game is CPU bound. I prove him wrong. Now, if you want to talk about something else, you're welcome to do it.
    If thats true then yu're taking the literal meaning of his statment as opposed to the implied meaning to deflect from your original point. Very good, though I didn't actually see where he said "no game is CPU bound". Let me take your through the discssion from my point (paraphrasing)


    • You said nobody would crossfire with such a puny CPU.
    • He suggests games were generally gpu bound with the APU, as proven by adding a stronger card (thus making crossfire seem like a sensible approach)
    • You pointed out a system which had a significantly stronger GPU (which costs more than the entire APU) doing questionable benchmarks to prove that not all games on all systems are GPU bound.


    That doesn't even make sense.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •