Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Valve's Steam Begins Selling More Than Games

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,317

    Default Valve's Steam Begins Selling More Than Games

    Phoronix: Valve's Steam Begins Selling More Than Games

    We have known about Valve's plans to make Steam more than just about gaming and beginning today you can buy some non-gaming software from the digital distribution client...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE5NzY

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,204

    Default

    This is pretty old news, but I'd be interested to see a list of Linux programs available.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    303

    Default

    3D-Coat is Linux software. Glad to see it be put on Steam.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    This is pretty old news, but I'd be interested to see a list of Linux programs available.
    It is. Like, 5 hours old.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    It is. Like, 5 hours old.
    No, it's not. Try over a month old:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/26062...pp_stores.html

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    No, it's not. Try over a month old:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/26062...pp_stores.html
    Just because something was announced at some point doesn't mean you can't do a news when it's actually released. It was released hours ago. Like, we know there's the iPhone 6 coming in 2013. I still appreciate reading news when it's out.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Just because something was announced at some point doesn't mean you can't do a news when it's actually released. It was released hours ago. Like, we know there's the iPhone 6 coming in 2013. I still appreciate reading news when it's out.
    Fair enough, but this news also has very little to do with Linux or open source. I'm not really complaining, I just think this article wasn't suitable for this website. If you haven't noticed, I'm usually one of the members on these forums fighting against the haters. Now if this article were to say explicitly that Linux is getting non-game attention then I think this would be more worth mentioning, but it's mostly just focusing on Windows.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,001

    Default Machinima

    I think there are also device drivers on Steam.

    Maybe there will be machinima movies?
    Which are movies that are rendered using a game engine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •