Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux 3.7 May Help Radeon Users With Power

Default Linux 3.7 May Help Radeon Users With Power

Phoronix: Linux 3.7 May Help Radeon Users With Power

While the main DRM pull request for the Linux 3.7 kernel has yet to be submitted to Linus Torvalds, the Radeon DRM pull for the Linux 3.7 was just sent into David Airlie as the DRM sub-system maintainer...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE5Nzg

I can has Kernel 3.7 finished release right now?
    *makes cute huge kitty eyes*

Finally, I can adjust brightness on my EliteBook 8460p with radeon card!

Post Finally!

Finally!!

Plz, give me 'dynpm'

Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    The reworked PLL handling can now power down extra PLLS
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    This also allows us to power down extra PLLs when we can share a single one across multiple displays which saves power.
    The news is not the powering down of unused PLLs, but the sharing of PLLs (which may yield additional PLLs that can be idle). This will only save power in certain multi-monitor configurations. As far as I know, PLLs can only be shared across multiple DP monitors, so there's no effect for most users.

Not saying the change isn't welcome, just don't expect power savings on your laptop (or any machine where power usage is actually important).

Quote Originally Posted by rohcQaH View Post
    The news is not the powering down of unused PLLs, but the sharing of PLLs (which may yield additional PLLs that can be idle). This will only save power in certain multi-monitor configurations. As far as I know, PLLs can only be shared across multiple DP monitors, so there's no effect for most users.

Not saying the change isn't welcome, just don't expect power savings on your laptop (or any machine where power usage is actually important).
    and improved ACPI support for GPU interaction.
    Any chance for dynamic clocking?

Quote Originally Posted by Mait View Post
    Any chance for dynamic clocking?
    They have tried to release code for pm but it failed the legal review, afaik.

I find it interesting, though, how could the "ondemand" frequency governor be IP. I mean it's just a re-clocking algo, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by HokTar View Post
    They have tried to release code for pm but it failed the legal review, afaik.

I find it interesting, though, how could the "ondemand" frequency governor be IP. I mean it's just a re-clocking algo, isn't it?
    Maybe there is patents for 'How can we know when we do reclocking'.

If at last i can switch mine intel/amd card. I'm happy.

Default The only viable alternative is...

you guessed it .... NVIDIA ! At least they release a full-blown (stable, supports latest opengl, proper power management, good performance, CUDA) driver instead of that CRAP AMD is giving us. The quality of the AMD driver is insulting, and they have had a lot of years to come up with a proper solution... do you actually have a computer science degree guys ?