Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Compiz Being Re-Retired From Fedora

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,048

    Default

    I remember the glory days of Compiz when it was wow!
    I was watching YouTube videos of Compiz and like wow!
    So I got Linux with Compiz on it and showed the spinning cube to my friends and family and were like wow!
    So amazing!

    Nowadays nobody is interested in it?

    I am not sure about Mutter, is it any good?
    It feels so tied to gnome-shell.
    And it has no minimize and maximize buttons?
    I want to use something cool flashy with gnome classic session because Metacity sucks.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Why is it that I think that compiz is the greatest window manager on linux and that every thing else just seems to be a poor excuse

    and the kwin seems to be the only real alternative except its to dependant on kde to bother using on something like xfce

    the reason why i think this is that I make use of the expo funtionality the cover switer as its a lot more usefull to see a full preivew of a window before I switch to it, and I also use scalef

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hosh-blot View Post
    Why is it that I think that compiz is the greatest window manager on linux and that every thing else just seems to be a poor excuse

    and the kwin seems to be the only real alternative except its to dependant on kde to bother using on something like xfce

    the reason why i think this is that I make use of the expo funtionality the cover switer as its a lot more usefull to see a full preivew of a window before I switch to it, and I also use scalef
    Well Compiz pioneered composited window managers.
    It have a plugin system so it is modular and configurable and able todo things other composited window managers can't do.
    Like the spinning cube!

    The bad thing about Compiz is that supposedly is poorly written and there is lots of code that needs to be refactored, improved and rewritten.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    239

    Default

    and that you cant disable compositing like in KWin.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    It have a plugin system so it is modular and configurable and able todo things other composited window managers can't do.
    I could be completely wrong, but I thought one of the problems with compiz was that it didn't have a plugin system, all effects had to tap directly into the core of the compositor, which is a security and stability risk,

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Like the spinning cube!
    There are other compositors that support cube rotation, kwin for one.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Well Compiz pioneered composited window managers.
    It have a plugin system so it is modular and configurable and able todo things other composited window managers can't do.
    Like the spinning cube!

    The bad thing about Compiz is that supposedly is poorly written and there is lots of code that needs to be refactored, improved and rewritten.
    KWin has it too, so wrong.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    I could be completely wrong, but I thought one of the problems with compiz was that it didn't have a plugin system, all effects had to tap directly into the core of the compositor, which is a security and stability risk,


    There are other compositors that support cube rotation, kwin for one.
    I don't find anything that compiz can, but Kwin can't.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Super Jamie View Post
    Ah, I was not aware of that.

    Out of interest, what do you need vsync for?

    My main use is transparent terminals (and not making YouTube slow) which it's been great for.
    Without vsync if I use an xrender based compositer I get tearing on things like flash videos, which is very annoying. Video tearing can be worked around if you set your media player to use opengl output, but you can't do this with flash.

    BUT, I've finally found a way to use xrender without tearing! (at least on intel). If you have a recent intel driver you can enable these two options:

    Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
    Option "TearFree" "true"

    I can now use xfce's compositer with no tearing! No tearing dragging windows, no tearing scrolling, no tearing on any videos (including flash)! I'm quite happy I've finally found a solution for this I've been wanting to switch to XFCE, but the tearing always bothered me so much, and I have a lot of issues with compiz. Now everything works great.
    Last edited by bwat47; 10-17-2012 at 12:48 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •