Thread: Cairo 1.12.4 Brings Worthwhile Changes

Hybrid View

Default Cairo 1.12.4 Brings Worthwhile Changes

Phoronix: Cairo 1.12.4 Brings Worthwhile Changes

Taking a break from his crazy activity on the Intel driver and SNA acceleration architecture, Chris Wilson released today Cairo 1.12.4. There are some worthwhile changes and new features to this release making it worth the upgrade...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIwMDE

I've seen the image backend of cairo used often as the baseline for performance comparisons but I still don't know what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by liam View Post
    I've seen the image backend of cairo used often as the baseline for performance comparisons but I still don't know what it is.
    It's standard software rendering AFAIK. (no xrender, or GL acceleration, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    It's standard software rendering AFAIK. (no xrender, or GL acceleration, etc.)

Hmm, I thought xlib was software (hence the zero copy to gpu) while the xrender back end would have created the image on the gpu to start with?

The xlib backend rasterizes on the CPU, but uses the GPU (via XRender and EXA) for filling, copying, and compositing (which tend to be more frequent operations). I think it may also use XRender for path rendering after tesselating to trapezoids (which isn't hw accelerated by any driver I know of now, but could be in theory).

Quote Originally Posted by TechMage89 View Post
    The xlib backend rasterizes on the CPU, but uses the GPU (via XRender and EXA) for filling, copying, and compositing (which tend to be more frequent operations). I think it may atlso use XRender for path rendering after tesselating to trapezoids (which isn't hw accelerated by any driver I know of now, but could be in theory).

That sounds right, but what is the difference with the image backend?