Thread: Linux Now Has Audio Run-Time Power Management

Default Linux Now Has Audio Run-Time Power Management

Phoronix: Linux Now Has Audio Run-Time Power Management

The sound pull request for the Linux 3.7 kernel was finally sent in today and it provides a few new features for the Linux kernel audio drivers, including run-time power savings support...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIwMTU

Sounds great, as long as it doesn't cause a loud "pop" in your headphones... certain audio chipsets when they go to sleep cause some kind of miniature arc lightning in an air gap between the jack and the plug (assuming you're using analog audio; obviously this doesn't apply in digital audio situations).

Hmm, so what does that mean for PulseAudio? Will there be additional power management gains, or did PA already have something like that implemented in userland?

This is nice news, but I'm also waiting on Firefox to use PulseAudio through and through.

Maybe Michael(Larabel) can push the agenda !

How much power does this save compared to the existing HDA power-save mode? (which also often pops like allquixotic said)

Does anyone have more details on this? Is this automatic or something that needs to be enabled?

In my laptop powersaving script I currently use these commands for intel hd-audio powersaving:
    echo 1 > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save
    echo Y > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save_controller

Will those still work with 3.7, or should I use different commands (or any at all) when 3.7 comes out?

Quote Originally Posted by bwat47 View Post
    Does anyone have more details on this? Is this automatic or something that needs to be enabled?

In my laptop powersaving script I currently use these commands for intel hd-audio powersaving:
    echo 1 > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save
    echo Y > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save_controller

Will those still work with 3.7, or should I use different commands (or any at all) when 3.7 comes out?
    This will still work, but you might also benefit from enabling the PCI power management.

You could also pass those options via /etc/modprobe.d/name_of_choice.conf (which also avoids potential races):

Code:
    options snd_hda_intel power_save=1 power_save_controller=Y